Category 5 Hurricane Maria Leaves “Widespread Devastation” In Dominica, Continues To Rip Through Caribbean
On Monday Category 5 Hurricane Maria inflicted extensive damage on the island nation of Dominica and now appears to have its sights set on the Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico.
Maria is the third devastating hurricane to churn through the region in recent weeks.
In the wee hours of Tuesday, Dominica’s prime minister wrote on Facebook that the island had experienced “widespread devastation,” based on initial reports.
“So far we have lost all what money can buy and replace. My greatest fear for the morning is that we will wake to news of serious physical injury and possible deaths as a result of likely landslides triggered by persistent rains.
So, far the winds have swept away the roofs of almost every person I have spoken to or otherwise made contact with. The roof to my own official residence was among the first to go and this apparently triggered an avalanche of torn away roofs in the city and the countryside.”
The powerful storm is forecast to pass over the northeastern Caribbean Sea on Tuesday and to make its way to the Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico Tuesday night and Wednesday.
Jamaica has so far this year been spared the wrath of any major storms despite 2017 being one of the most active Atlantic seasons.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- Bolt To Train With Australian A-League Side Central Coast Mariners - July 17, 2018
- Accident Claims Life Of UWI Student In St Mary - July 16, 2018
- Jamaica’s Briana Williams Secures Rare Sprint Double At World U20 Championships - July 14, 2018
- Petrol Prices Surge Locally - July 12, 2018
- Protoje Tops Billboard Reggae Chart - July 11, 2018
- Kartel Possibly One Step Closer To Freedom - July 9, 2018
- Elderly Man Suspected Of Committing Suicide In Kingston - July 8, 2018
- Kartel’s Appeal Trial To Commence Next Week - July 6, 2018
- Jamaican-American Actress Sheryl Lee Ralph Inducted Into ICS Wall Of Fame - July 4, 2018
- Zero Murders In St Ann Last Month - July 3, 2018