Barbuda Declared Uninhabitable Following Passage Of Hurricane Irma
Hurricane Irma continues to wreak havoc as it moves over sections of the Caribbean.
The Category 5 cyclone has already claimed at least 10 lives in the region and has utterly devastated the small island of Barbuda.
An estimated 95 per cent of all buildings on the small island have been partially or totally destroyed.
The Government of Antigua and Barbuda has now issued an evacuation notice stating:
“Prime Minister Gaston Browne has advised that a voluntary evacuation order has been issued for Barbuda.
All senior citizens, disabled or infirmed persons are encouraged to take advantage of the opportunity.
Prime Minister Browne further advises that should the twin island nation come under threat by hurricane Jose a mandatory evacuation order will be issued.”
And while speaking with ABS TV, Browne said Barbuda is is practically uninhabitable as there is no water, electricity or telecommunications.
Antigua, Barbuda’s sister island, though affected by Irma, was largely spared the brunt of the powerful storm.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- Usain Bolt Scores Twice And Pulls Off Exquisite Nutmeg In Borussia Dortmund Training Session - March 24, 2018
- National Under 15 And Under 18 Table Tennis Squad Scheduled For Caribbean Tournament In Cuba - March 22, 2018
- “I Think We Can” See Bolt At Old Trafford Next Season – José Mourinho - March 22, 2018
- Usain Bolt Scores Superb Header In Borussia Dortmund Kit! - March 21, 2018
- Former England Youth Star Appears Eager To Join Reggae Boyz - March 21, 2018
- Getting De-Inked: Why Jamaicans Are Rethinking Their Tattoos - March 20, 2018
- Jay Z, Beyonce Visit Jamaica - March 20, 2018
- State Of Public Emergency Declared In St. Catherine North Police Division - March 19, 2018
- Plans In Place To Make Port Royal Jamaica’s Next Big Cruise Destination - March 18, 2018
- Jamaican Among Six Killed In Bridge Collapse At Florida University - March 17, 2018