Potentially Powerful Hurricane May Impact Caribbean, Being Monitored By Forecasters
On Thursday, Irma – the ninth storm of this year’s Atlantic hurricane season strengthened into a Category 2 hurricane.
And current projections indicate that the Caribbean and Southeast coast of the United States could be impacted by the cyclone.
Irma’s current projected path has it heading for the Lesser Antilles but the storm is expected to become a major hurricane before reaching those islands.
However, as of now, Irma remains in the Atlantic and is expected to stay over open ocean for up to six days.
Per The Weather Channel, the center of Irma is located about 650 miles to the west of the Cabo Verde Islands and is moving west-northwest around 10 mph. The storm could become a category 3 (or stronger) hurricane as early as Thursday tonight and a Category 4 hurricane by the weekend.
It is far too soon to speculate if the storm will impact Jamaica in any way as long range projections aren’t usually very reliable. Forecasters continue to monitor its development.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- Leon Bailey Named In Provisional Reggae Boyz Squad For 2020 Olympic Qualifiers - February 24, 2018
- Live Oil Seeps Discovered In Jamaica! - February 23, 2018
- Two Charged For Murder Of Elderly Jamaican-Canadian Couple - February 22, 2018
- Justin Bieber And Selena Gomez Visit Jamaica For His Dad’s Wedding - February 21, 2018
- Fire Destroys Historic Methodist Church In St Ann - February 21, 2018
- Jamaican Man Labelled A Hero After Saving Young Girl From Vicious Pit Bull In Florida - February 20, 2018
- Jamaica’s Female Bobsleighers Complete Impressive Run At Winter Olympics - February 20, 2018
- Leon Bailey Steals Ball Off Defender, Evades Goalkeeper To Score - February 19, 2018
- Jimmy Cliff’s Daughter In Marvel’s Black Panther Movie - February 18, 2018
- Victim In Florida Mass Shooting Reportedly Has Jamaican Roots (Updated) - February 16, 2018