Potentially Powerful Hurricane May Impact Caribbean, Being Monitored By Forecasters
On Thursday, Irma – the ninth storm of this year’s Atlantic hurricane season strengthened into a Category 2 hurricane.
And current projections indicate that the Caribbean and Southeast coast of the United States could be impacted by the cyclone.
Irma’s current projected path has it heading for the Lesser Antilles but the storm is expected to become a major hurricane before reaching those islands.
However, as of now, Irma remains in the Atlantic and is expected to stay over open ocean for up to six days.
Per The Weather Channel, the center of Irma is located about 650 miles to the west of the Cabo Verde Islands and is moving west-northwest around 10 mph. The storm could become a category 3 (or stronger) hurricane as early as Thursday tonight and a Category 4 hurricane by the weekend.
It is far too soon to speculate if the storm will impact Jamaica in any way as long range projections aren’t usually very reliable. Forecasters continue to monitor its development.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- Andre Blake, Kemar Lawrence, Theodore Whitmore Shortlisted For CONCACAF Awards - November 23, 2017
- Starbucks Opens First Store In Jamaica - November 21, 2017
- BREAKING: Ninja Man, Co-accused Found Guilty Of Murder - November 20, 2017
- Woman, Daughter Killed In St James - November 20, 2017
- Jamaican Leon Bailey Scores Fifth Goal For Bayer Leverkusen - November 20, 2017
- Atkinson Maintains Unbeaten Streak In 50m Breaststroke As FINA Swimming Short Course World Cup Concludes - November 19, 2017
- Jamaica’s Solange Sinclair Makes Miss World Top 10 - November 18, 2017
- The Impact of Reggae on Worldwide Culture - November 17, 2017
- American Man Detained After Allegedly Sexually Assaulting Minor At Resort In Jamaica - November 16, 2017
- Firearms Seized At Sangster International Airport, Two US Nationals Charged – JCF - November 15, 2017