Potentially Powerful Hurricane May Impact Caribbean, Being Monitored By Forecasters
On Thursday, Irma – the ninth storm of this year’s Atlantic hurricane season strengthened into a Category 2 hurricane.
And current projections indicate that the Caribbean and Southeast coast of the United States could be impacted by the cyclone.
Irma’s current projected path has it heading for the Lesser Antilles but the storm is expected to become a major hurricane before reaching those islands.
However, as of now, Irma remains in the Atlantic and is expected to stay over open ocean for up to six days.
Per The Weather Channel, the center of Irma is located about 650 miles to the west of the Cabo Verde Islands and is moving west-northwest around 10 mph. The storm could become a category 3 (or stronger) hurricane as early as Thursday tonight and a Category 4 hurricane by the weekend.
It is far too soon to speculate if the storm will impact Jamaica in any way as long range projections aren’t usually very reliable. Forecasters continue to monitor its development.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- Kartel Hospitalised - September 25, 2017
- Jermaine Barrett Dies After Hard Fought Battle With Cancer - September 25, 2017
- Most Wanted ‘Duppy Film’ Reportedly Killed By Police In St Thomas - September 24, 2017
- Miss Jamaica World 2017 Crowned - September 24, 2017
- US To Assist With Probe Into Tourist’s Death - September 23, 2017
- Autopsy On Medical Doctor’s Body To Be Conducted Today - September 22, 2017
- NCU Student Wins Full Tuition In Red Stripe ‘Drink Right’ App Design Competition - September 21, 2017
- Jamaican Model Gabrielle Davis Joins Cast Of VH1’s Love & Hip Hop: Miami - September 21, 2017
- Jamaica By Bike Returns With Kingston To Negril Charity Ride - September 20, 2017
- Cop Killed By Gunmen At His Home In St Catherine - September 20, 2017