Gov’t Announces $40,000 Monthly Cap On Ministerial Phone Bills
At a post-Cabinet press briefing at Jamaica House earlier today (August 2), Information Minister, Senator Ruel Reid, announced a new policy which will see a monthly cap of $40,000 being placed on cellular phone bills relative to all ministers, both at the Cabinet and junior minister levels.
Minister Reid said the cap was relative to all the phone-related activities of each minister in respect of the ministry to which he or she is assigned.
The new policy by the government comes just weeks after the shocking revelation that Finance Minister Audley Shaw had racked up a cell phone bill amounting to $8.34 million for the period spanning March 2016 to February 2017.
The $8.34 million bill included a massive bill of over $4.2 million for October 2016.
Shaw has since reportedly paid over $2 million of the October amount, for which he claims was caused by uncontrolled data charges and extensive private use of the phone while travelling overseas, including when there was a major health challenge in his family.
He has also reportedly received a $1 million discount on the bill.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- 100 People Killed In First 20 Days Of 2018 - January 22, 2018
- Primary School To Be Renamed For Veronica Campbell Brown - January 22, 2018
- Three Members Of Family Killed In St Thomas - January 21, 2018
- Jamaican Leon Bailey Scores Cheeky Back-Heel Goal For Bayer Leverkusen - January 20, 2018
- Canadian, British Tourists In St James Urged To Stay Within Resorts - January 20, 2018
- Former West Indies Youth Cricketer Of The Year Xavier Marshall To Represent The USA - January 19, 2018
- Major Military Operation In St James - January 18, 2018
- Bolt To Donate $1 Million To Children’s Home Following Deadly Fire - January 17, 2018
- Mobay Man Charged For Quadruple Murder - January 17, 2018
- Jamaica To Send First Women’s Bobsleigh Team To Olympics - January 16, 2018