Gov’t Announces $40,000 Monthly Cap On Ministerial Phone Bills
At a post-Cabinet press briefing at Jamaica House earlier today (August 2), Information Minister, Senator Ruel Reid, announced a new policy which will see a monthly cap of $40,000 being placed on cellular phone bills relative to all ministers, both at the Cabinet and junior minister levels.
Minister Reid said the cap was relative to all the phone-related activities of each minister in respect of the ministry to which he or she is assigned.
The new policy by the government comes just weeks after the shocking revelation that Finance Minister Audley Shaw had racked up a cell phone bill amounting to $8.34 million for the period spanning March 2016 to February 2017.
The $8.34 million bill included a massive bill of over $4.2 million for October 2016.
Shaw has since reportedly paid over $2 million of the October amount, for which he claims was caused by uncontrolled data charges and extensive private use of the phone while travelling overseas, including when there was a major health challenge in his family.
He has also reportedly received a $1 million discount on the bill.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- U-17 Reggae Girlz Out Of Contention For Women’s World Cup - October 23, 2017
- Bloody Weekend Sees Seven Killed In St James - October 22, 2017
- ‘A Lot’ Of Football Clubs Have Contacted Me – Usain Bolt - October 22, 2017
- 2018 FIFA World Cup Dream Still Alive For Jamaica’s Young Reggae Girlz - October 21, 2017
- Prolific Jamaican Striker Dane Kelly Earns Golden Boot Award In USL - October 20, 2017
- 91-Yr-Old Jamaican Man Killed, Wife Injured During Robbery In The US - October 19, 2017
- PM Gives Mount Salem ZOSO ‘B Plus’ Grade - October 19, 2017
- Several High Powered Weapons Seized at Newport West – JCF - October 18, 2017
- Reggae Boy Andre Blake Nominated For MLS Goalkeeper of the Year - October 18, 2017
- PM Declares Denham Town Second Zone of Special Operations - October 17, 2017