Gov’t Announces $40,000 Monthly Cap On Ministerial Phone Bills
At a post-Cabinet press briefing at Jamaica House earlier today (August 2), Information Minister, Senator Ruel Reid, announced a new policy which will see a monthly cap of $40,000 being placed on cellular phone bills relative to all ministers, both at the Cabinet and junior minister levels.
Minister Reid said the cap was relative to all the phone-related activities of each minister in respect of the ministry to which he or she is assigned.
The new policy by the government comes just weeks after the shocking revelation that Finance Minister Audley Shaw had racked up a cell phone bill amounting to $8.34 million for the period spanning March 2016 to February 2017.
The $8.34 million bill included a massive bill of over $4.2 million for October 2016.
Shaw has since reportedly paid over $2 million of the October amount, for which he claims was caused by uncontrolled data charges and extensive private use of the phone while travelling overseas, including when there was a major health challenge in his family.
He has also reportedly received a $1 million discount on the bill.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- Reggae Boy Kevon Lambert Signs For Phoenix Rising FC - August 21, 2017
- Thompson Wins Women’s 100m At Birmingham Diamond League - August 20, 2017
- Upcoming Solar Eclipse Will Obscure Large View Of The Sun From Jamaica, But Protect Your Eyes! - August 20, 2017
- 10 Persons Struck By Lightning At Mystic mountain - August 19, 2017
- Tropical Storm Harvey Being Monitored By ODPEM, Met Office - August 19, 2017
- Regulations Coming For Motorcycle Sale And Use (NRSC) - August 18, 2017
- Employment In Jamaica At All-Time High - August 18, 2017
- Bolt To Miss Opportunity To Play For Manchester United Due To Injury - August 17, 2017
- Jamaican Farm Worker Dies In Tractor Roll-Over Accident In Canada - August 17, 2017
- Elaine Thompson To Compete In Diamond League This Sunday - August 17, 2017