Close to 900 Persons Killed So Far This Year
Close to 900 persons have been killed in Jamaica since the beginning of 2017.
Figures courtesy of the National Intelligence Bureau (NIB) show that 157 people were killed in June, while 138 murders were recorded in May.
136 persons were murdered in July, 123 in January, 118 in March, 109 in April, and 86 in February.
The month of August has seen 26 persons being killed up to Monday of this week. According to the NIB, the figures represent a 21.7 percent increase when compared to the corresponding period in 2016.
St James has the highest tally with 117, followed by Westmoreland with 85; Clarendon with 84; St. Andrew South, 76; St. Catherine North, 75; Kingston West, 59 and St. Catherine South, 56.
1,350 murders were recorded in Jamaica last year. Police claim that 65 percent of those killings were gang related.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- D&G Foundation Pumps 4.2 Million Into HEART Trust NTA Youth Development Programme - December 13, 2017
- Dancehall Artiste Mineral Boss Shot Dead In Caymanas Bay - December 13, 2017
- A New T20 Record! The ‘Universe Boss’ Smashes 146 Off 69 Balls (18 Sixes) - December 12, 2017
- Jamaica’s Edmund Bartlett Named Caribbean Tourism Minister of the Year - December 12, 2017
- Three Die After Gunmen Callously Attack Mourners At Funeral In Kingston - December 11, 2017
- Flash Flood Watch In Effect For Northern And Southeastern Parishes - December 11, 2017
- Jamaican Leon Bailey Delivers Two Assists In Leverkusen Win - December 10, 2017
- Jamaicans Driving Support Against Paediatric Cancer - December 9, 2017
- Missing US National Found - December 8, 2017
- Police Seek Public’s Help To Find Missing US National - December 7, 2017