Calls Mount For Bolt to Receive Knighthood
There are burgeoning calls for the world’s fastest man – Jamaica’s Usain Bolt to be knighted just prior to his final professional 100 metres run.
The calls Bolt to be awarded a knighthood are being made by several sporting greats and former sports ministers in the United Kingdom.
Bolt is eligible for a knighthood as he is a citizen of the Commonwealth.
The 30-year-old already received the local equivalent of the honour – the Order of Jamaica, in 2009 after setting world records for the 100m and 200m which stand to this day.
It is mainly British athletes who have been knighted in recent times but the possibility of Bolt receiving the honour remains a distinct possibility because of his incredible achievements in track and field.
The eight-time Olympic gold medallist is the first person to hold both the 100 metres and 200 metres world records since fully automatic time became mandatory.
He also holds the world record as a part of the 4 × 100 metres relay. He is the reigning world and Olympic champion in these three events. Because of his unprecedented dominance and achievements in sprint competition, he is widely considered to be the greatest sprinter of all time.
He was recently likened to Muhammad Ali by International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) president Lord Coe for his impact in the sport.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- Reggae Boy Kevon Lambert Signs For Phoenix Rising FC - August 21, 2017
- Thompson Wins Women’s 100m At Birmingham Diamond League - August 20, 2017
- Upcoming Solar Eclipse Will Obscure Large View Of The Sun From Jamaica, But Protect Your Eyes! - August 20, 2017
- 10 Persons Struck By Lightning At Mystic mountain - August 19, 2017
- Tropical Storm Harvey Being Monitored By ODPEM, Met Office - August 19, 2017
- Regulations Coming For Motorcycle Sale And Use (NRSC) - August 18, 2017
- Employment In Jamaica At All-Time High - August 18, 2017
- Bolt To Miss Opportunity To Play For Manchester United Due To Injury - August 17, 2017
- Jamaican Farm Worker Dies In Tractor Roll-Over Accident In Canada - August 17, 2017
- Elaine Thompson To Compete In Diamond League This Sunday - August 17, 2017