Calls Mount For Bolt to Receive Knighthood
There are burgeoning calls for the world’s fastest man – Jamaica’s Usain Bolt to be knighted just prior to his final professional 100 metres run.
The calls Bolt to be awarded a knighthood are being made by several sporting greats and former sports ministers in the United Kingdom.
Bolt is eligible for a knighthood as he is a citizen of the Commonwealth.
The 30-year-old already received the local equivalent of the honour – the Order of Jamaica, in 2009 after setting world records for the 100m and 200m which stand to this day.
It is mainly British athletes who have been knighted in recent times but the possibility of Bolt receiving the honour remains a distinct possibility because of his incredible achievements in track and field.
The eight-time Olympic gold medallist is the first person to hold both the 100 metres and 200 metres world records since fully automatic time became mandatory.
He also holds the world record as a part of the 4 × 100 metres relay. He is the reigning world and Olympic champion in these three events. Because of his unprecedented dominance and achievements in sprint competition, he is widely considered to be the greatest sprinter of all time.
He was recently likened to Muhammad Ali by International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) president Lord Coe for his impact in the sport.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- D&G Foundation Pumps 4.2 Million Into HEART Trust NTA Youth Development Programme - December 13, 2017
- Dancehall Artiste Mineral Boss Shot Dead In Caymanas Bay - December 13, 2017
- A New T20 Record! The ‘Universe Boss’ Smashes 146 Off 69 Balls (18 Sixes) - December 12, 2017
- Jamaica’s Edmund Bartlett Named Caribbean Tourism Minister of the Year - December 12, 2017
- Three Die After Gunmen Callously Attack Mourners At Funeral In Kingston - December 11, 2017
- Flash Flood Watch In Effect For Northern And Southeastern Parishes - December 11, 2017
- Jamaican Leon Bailey Delivers Two Assists In Leverkusen Win - December 10, 2017
- Jamaicans Driving Support Against Paediatric Cancer - December 9, 2017
- Missing US National Found - December 8, 2017
- Police Seek Public’s Help To Find Missing US National - December 7, 2017