Audley Shaw Named Caribbean Finance Minister Of The Year
JIS – Jamaica’s Finance and the Public Service Minister, Hon. Audley Shaw, has been named Finance Minister of the Year for the Caribbean by the GlobalMarkets newspaper.
The publication focuses on the International Monetary Fund, World Bank, European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, Asian Development Bank, and the Inter-American Development Bank annual meetings
Toby Fildes, the managing editor of the publication, said Shaw has an impressive roster of economic reforms that was started by the previous Jamaican administration, which demonstrates Jamaica’s political stability.
“You have kept a tight hand on government spending – fiscal surplus is very high – which will help whittle down government debt,” Mr. Fildes said in a letter to the Minister, dated August 24.
Fildes said Jamaica has been cited as a stand-out performer on its fiscal targets and the new Government is now targeting faster growth.
“These measures are paying off. The Minister recently approached the market with a liability management exercise. In addition, the country’s ratings have been on the up since 2014, with Moody’s lifting the country to B3 in November,” he noted.
Mr. Shaw, in accepting the award on behalf of Prime Minister, the Most Hon. Andrew Holness, the Government of Jamaica and the people, said he felt honoured and looks forward to collecting it in Washington DC in the United States come October.
GlobalMarkets last year recognised Bank of Jamaica (BOJ) Governor, Brian Wynter, as the 2016 Governor of the Year.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- Weather – More Rain On The Horizon For Jamaica - November 24, 2017
- Andre Blake, Kemar Lawrence, Theodore Whitmore Shortlisted For CONCACAF Awards - November 23, 2017
- Starbucks Opens First Store In Jamaica - November 21, 2017
- BREAKING: Ninja Man, Co-accused Found Guilty Of Murder - November 20, 2017
- Woman, Daughter Killed In St James - November 20, 2017
- Jamaican Leon Bailey Scores Fifth Goal For Bayer Leverkusen - November 20, 2017
- Atkinson Maintains Unbeaten Streak In 50m Breaststroke As FINA Swimming Short Course World Cup Concludes - November 19, 2017
- Jamaica’s Solange Sinclair Makes Miss World Top 10 - November 18, 2017
- The Impact of Reggae on Worldwide Culture - November 17, 2017
- American Man Detained After Allegedly Sexually Assaulting Minor At Resort In Jamaica - November 16, 2017