Atkinson Wins 100m, 200m Breaststroke Gold In Berlin
On Monday Jamaica’s swimming phenom Alia Atkinson won gold in the 100m Short-course breaststroke at the FINA/airweave Swimming World Cup in Berlin, Germany.
Atkinson breezed through the preliminaries of the 100m breaststroke with the second-fastest time of the qualifiers posting 1:05.71 minutes behind a 50m split of 30.71secs.
And a blistering reaction time of 0.62 in the final saw her obtain an unassailable lead at the 50m mark as she registered a split of 29.37secs.
Atkinson stopped the clock in an impressive 1:03.16 minutes ahead of Finland’s Jenna Laukkanen (1:04.56) and Fanny Lecluyse (1:05.81) of Belgium.
And just a day earlier – on Independence Day, Atkinson won gold in the 200m Short-course breaststroke. Atkinson qualified for the final with a time of 2:22.35. The European record holder in the 200m, Rikke Møller Pedersen, topped the qualifiers with a swim of 2:21.87.
In the final, Jamaica’s darling of the pool went out the fastest in 31.65. Pedersen went with her in 31.96 but Atkinson maintained her advantage of 1:07.38 to 1:07.49 at the 100m mark.
Atkinson then produced a final 50m surge of 35.69 to win gold in a time of 2:18.96.
Pedersen got silver with her time of 2:19.52 while Fanny Lecluyse of Belgium (2:19.96) won bronze.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- Jamaica Represented In IDB Development Work - May 26, 2018
- Reggae Boyz Fall Out Of Top 50 In Latest FIFA Rankings - May 26, 2018
- Sean Paul Announces Death Of His Father - May 25, 2018
- Ananda Alert Issued For Missing St Ann Teen - May 24, 2018
- Street Team Win ‘Clash 13’ Of Charles Chocolates Dancin’ Dynamites Competition - May 23, 2018
- Ignite IGL Foundation Brings Cheer To Riverton Meadows Early Childhood Centre - May 22, 2018
- Gasoline Retailers Express Concern As Fuel Prices Rise - May 22, 2018
- Security Forces Seize Masks, Firearms In Westmoreland - May 21, 2018
- Gov’t Considers Increasing Ethanol Percentage In Petrol - May 20, 2018
- Bayern Munich Reportedly Make €60 Million Offer For Jamaican Winger Leon Bailey - May 19, 2018