Atkinson Wins 100m, 200m Breaststroke Gold In Berlin
On Monday Jamaica’s swimming phenom Alia Atkinson won gold in the 100m Short-course breaststroke at the FINA/airweave Swimming World Cup in Berlin, Germany.
Atkinson breezed through the preliminaries of the 100m breaststroke with the second-fastest time of the qualifiers posting 1:05.71 minutes behind a 50m split of 30.71secs.
And a blistering reaction time of 0.62 in the final saw her obtain an unassailable lead at the 50m mark as she registered a split of 29.37secs.
Atkinson stopped the clock in an impressive 1:03.16 minutes ahead of Finland’s Jenna Laukkanen (1:04.56) and Fanny Lecluyse (1:05.81) of Belgium.
And just a day earlier – on Independence Day, Atkinson won gold in the 200m Short-course breaststroke. Atkinson qualified for the final with a time of 2:22.35. The European record holder in the 200m, Rikke Møller Pedersen, topped the qualifiers with a swim of 2:21.87.
In the final, Jamaica’s darling of the pool went out the fastest in 31.65. Pedersen went with her in 31.96 but Atkinson maintained her advantage of 1:07.38 to 1:07.49 at the 100m mark.
Atkinson then produced a final 50m surge of 35.69 to win gold in a time of 2:18.96.
Pedersen got silver with her time of 2:19.52 while Fanny Lecluyse of Belgium (2:19.96) won bronze.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- 100 People Killed In First 20 Days Of 2018 - January 22, 2018
- Primary School To Be Renamed For Veronica Campbell Brown - January 22, 2018
- Three Members Of Family Killed In St Thomas - January 21, 2018
- Jamaican Leon Bailey Scores Cheeky Back-Heel Goal For Bayer Leverkusen - January 20, 2018
- Canadian, British Tourists In St James Urged To Stay Within Resorts - January 20, 2018
- Former West Indies Youth Cricketer Of The Year Xavier Marshall To Represent The USA - January 19, 2018
- Major Military Operation In St James - January 18, 2018
- Bolt To Donate $1 Million To Children’s Home Following Deadly Fire - January 17, 2018
- Mobay Man Charged For Quadruple Murder - January 17, 2018
- Jamaica To Send First Women’s Bobsleigh Team To Olympics - January 16, 2018