Tanya Stephens: Miss Lou “Didn’t Liberate Me” – (VIDEO)
Tanya Stephens continues to stand her ground with her views regarding one of Jamaica’s most endeared cultural icons – Louise Bennett-Coverley, commonly referred to as Miss Lou.
Stephens recently shared her thoughts on a highly controversial comment made by the dancehall artiste Ishawna.
Last week, Ishawna triggered public backlash for a social media post which had the caption – “Mi nuh dress inna tablecloth like Miss Lou.”
The post, which was shared on the popular photo-sharing platform Instagram also included the hashtag “#RipMissLou”.
Stephens responded in a social media post seemingly directed at Ishawna’s critics, saying “Jamaicans really need to stop mandating their self-imposed limitations.”
In the post, Stephens also asked persons condemning Ishawna to share an image of themselves dressing like ‘Miss Lou’ and a video of themselves reciting one of the icon’s poems.
She has since expounded on her views regarding Miss Lou in a social media video.
Hear her thoughts below:
He who says one needs to know one's past to know one's future must have never heard of amnesia. I'm open to learning from those who actually HAVE something to teach! While you are busy being the OWNER of Jamaica and the rewriter of history do remember that ALL Jamaicans have EQUAL franchise on this rock!
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- Category 5 Hurricane Maria Leaves “Widespread Devastation” In Dominica, Continues To Rip Through Caribbean - September 19, 2017
- Minor Earthquake Rattles Several Parishes - September 18, 2017
- Hurricane Maria Approaches Caribbean, Expected To Strengthen Rapidly - September 18, 2017
- Thousands Of Jamaicans Among ‘Dreamers’ In The US - September 17, 2017
- New JFF Boss Elected - September 17, 2017
- World’s Oldest Person – Jamaica’s Violet Moss-Brown Dies At 117 - September 16, 2017
- Jamaican Banana/Plantain Farmers Achieve GlobalG.A.P. Certification - September 15, 2017
- More Reggae Boyz To Ply Trade In Europe - September 15, 2017
- Doctor Found Dead At Her Home In Kingston - September 14, 2017
- Some Coins To Be Removed From Circulation In Jamaica - September 14, 2017