Thompson’s Third Place Finish Not Concerning – Ato Boldon
Double gold medallist Elaine Thompson recently finished third in the women’s 200m at the Eugene Diamond League.
The event saw Thompson compete against a star-studded field, which included Allyson Felix, Dafne Schippers, Tori Bowie and Shaunae Miller.
Thompson clocked 21.98, behind the American athlete Tori Bowie who clocked 21.77, and Olympic 400m gold medallist Shaunae Miller-Uibo, who crossed the line in 21.91 seconds.
The result represents Thompson’s first loss in a year.
Olympic silver medallist and broadcaster Ato Boldon recently voiced his views on the shock loss stating he is not worried about Thompson’s form ahead of the upcoming IAAF World Championships in London.
Boldon is quoted by RJR as saying:
“I have some information that Elaine was not a-hundred percent but in this sport if you line up, no excuses. She lost to a phenomenal performance. She obviously didn’t look herself but anybody who has been watching Elaine knows that Elaine will be fine. She hasn’t lost in a year and she’s human.”
Thompson rose to prominence as part of the gold medal-winning team in the 4×100 metres relay at the 2015 World Championships, where she also won a silver medal in the 200 metres.
At the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, Thompson completed a rare sprint double when she won gold in the 100m (with a time of 10.71 s) and the 200m (21.78 s), becoming the first female sprinter to do so since Florence Griffith Joyner at the Seoul Olympics in 1988. Thompson currently ranks as the fifth-fastest woman ever in the 200 metres event and tied fourth-fastest in the 100 metres.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- ‘A Lot’ Of Football Clubs Have Contacted Me – Usain Bolt - October 22, 2017
- 2018 FIFA World Cup Dream Still Alive For Jamaica’s Young Reggae Girlz - October 21, 2017
- Prolific Jamaican Striker Dane Kelly Earns Golden Boot Award In USL - October 20, 2017
- 91-Yr-Old Jamaican Man Killed, Wife Injured During Robbery In The US - October 19, 2017
- PM Gives Mount Salem ZOSO ‘B Plus’ Grade - October 19, 2017
- Several High Powered Weapons Seized at Newport West – JCF - October 18, 2017
- Reggae Boy Andre Blake Nominated For MLS Goalkeeper of the Year - October 18, 2017
- PM Declares Denham Town Second Zone of Special Operations - October 17, 2017
- Gunmen Kill Goat Farmer in St Elizabeth - October 17, 2017
- Sangster International Named Caribbean’s Leading Airport – World Travel Awards - October 15, 2017