Thompson’s Third Place Finish Not Concerning – Ato Boldon
Double gold medallist Elaine Thompson recently finished third in the women’s 200m at the Eugene Diamond League.
The event saw Thompson compete against a star-studded field, which included Allyson Felix, Dafne Schippers, Tori Bowie and Shaunae Miller.
Thompson clocked 21.98, behind the American athlete Tori Bowie who clocked 21.77, and Olympic 400m gold medallist Shaunae Miller-Uibo, who crossed the line in 21.91 seconds.
The result represents Thompson’s first loss in a year.
Olympic silver medallist and broadcaster Ato Boldon recently voiced his views on the shock loss stating he is not worried about Thompson’s form ahead of the upcoming IAAF World Championships in London.
Boldon is quoted by RJR as saying:
“I have some information that Elaine was not a-hundred percent but in this sport if you line up, no excuses. She lost to a phenomenal performance. She obviously didn’t look herself but anybody who has been watching Elaine knows that Elaine will be fine. She hasn’t lost in a year and she’s human.”
Thompson rose to prominence as part of the gold medal-winning team in the 4×100 metres relay at the 2015 World Championships, where she also won a silver medal in the 200 metres.
At the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, Thompson completed a rare sprint double when she won gold in the 100m (with a time of 10.71 s) and the 200m (21.78 s), becoming the first female sprinter to do so since Florence Griffith Joyner at the Seoul Olympics in 1988. Thompson currently ranks as the fifth-fastest woman ever in the 200 metres event and tied fourth-fastest in the 100 metres.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- Regulations Coming For Motorcycle Sale And Use (NRSC) - August 18, 2017
- Employment In Jamaica At All-Time High - August 18, 2017
- Bolt To Miss Opportunity To Play For Manchester United Due To Injury - August 17, 2017
- Jamaican Farm Worker Dies In Tractor Roll-Over Accident In Canada - August 17, 2017
- Elaine Thompson To Compete In Diamond League This Sunday - August 17, 2017
- Businessman Killed In Sandy Bay, Clarendon - August 16, 2017
- Jamaica Soars On Latest FIFA Ranking Following 2nd Place Gold Cup Finish - August 16, 2017
- Returning Residents Robbed By Gunmen Just Minutes After Leaving Airport - August 15, 2017
- Bolt To Finally Play For Manchester United In ‘Legends’ Game Against Barcelona - August 15, 2017
- Just In: South East St Mary MP, Dr Winston Green Dies - August 14, 2017