Peter Bunting Expresses Concern As Murder Rate Soars By 19 Percent
Opposition Spokesman on National Security, Peter Bunting has firmly criticised the JLP administration, for its handling of the country’s crime problem.
In a statement, Mr Bunting said the murder rate is spiraling out of control with the latest JCF statistics revealing
that 639 murders have occurred up to June 10, or a 19 percent increase in the number of murders year-to-date
compared to 2016.
The 137 murders committed in May reflected the highest month since the Tivoli Operation in 2010.
Mr Bunting also noted that the murder rate has accelerated during the month of June with 68 murders being committed during the first ten days – 54 of these in the last week, at a rate of almost 8 murders per day.
He also stated – “The Opposition is gravely concerned, as these murders are occurring right across the country with only two of 19 police divisions showing any improvement. For the first time in many years, the Metro Area – Kingston, St. Andrew, and St. Catherine – has the highest percentage increase in murders as opposed to Area 1.”
“It suggests that the runaway murder rate is an indication of systemic weaknesses within our national security apparatus. The deafening silence from the Prime Minister and the absurd statement from the Minister that ”gangs are under pressure‘ only contribute to the sense of drift and alternate reality within a sector critical to both
public safety and economic growth.”
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- Kartel Hospitalised - September 25, 2017
- Jermaine Barrett Dies After Hard Fought Battle With Cancer - September 25, 2017
- Most Wanted ‘Duppy Film’ Reportedly Killed By Police In St Thomas - September 24, 2017
- Miss Jamaica World 2017 Crowned - September 24, 2017
- US To Assist With Probe Into Tourist’s Death - September 23, 2017
- Autopsy On Medical Doctor’s Body To Be Conducted Today - September 22, 2017
- NCU Student Wins Full Tuition In Red Stripe ‘Drink Right’ App Design Competition - September 21, 2017
- Jamaican Model Gabrielle Davis Joins Cast Of VH1’s Love & Hip Hop: Miami - September 21, 2017
- Jamaica By Bike Returns With Kingston To Negril Charity Ride - September 20, 2017
- Cop Killed By Gunmen At His Home In St Catherine - September 20, 2017