JPS Seeks Electricity Rate Increase
The Jamaica Public Service Company (JPS) is now seeking an increase in electricity rates, which, if approved, will result in the average residential and small business customer’s electricity bill increasing by 2.8 per cent.
The new rate structure would result in bills for larger customers being increased by between one and two per cent.
In the most recent rate review application, the JPS asks the Office of Utilities Commission (OUR) to set its non-fuel revenue target for the next 12 months at just under $51 billion.
While proposing an increase for the majority of its customers, the JPS has also asked the OUR to allow it to create a new rate class for its largest customers.
The new rate class, if approved, would see mega-size customers realising an average 21 per cent reduction in their bills.
The JPS hopes that reducing the rates for its biggest customers will deter them from going off the grid.
According to the JPS, if its biggest customers defect and set up their own off-grid power supply, the remaining JPS customers would be required to pay even higher electricity bills.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- Jamaica’s Edmund Bartlett Named Caribbean Tourism Minister of the Year - December 12, 2017
- Three Die After Gunmen Callously Attack Mourners At Funeral In Kingston - December 11, 2017
- Flash Flood Watch In Effect For Northern And Southeastern Parishes - December 11, 2017
- Jamaican Leon Bailey Delivers Two Assists In Leverkusen Win - December 10, 2017
- Jamaicans Driving Support Against Paediatric Cancer - December 9, 2017
- Missing US National Found - December 8, 2017
- Police Seek Public’s Help To Find Missing US National - December 7, 2017
- Ian Boyne Recuperating Following Medical Emergency, Says “I Am Grateful To God” - December 7, 2017
- US Agents Intercept Over 100 Guns, Ammo Destined For Jamaica - December 6, 2017
- Jamaican Islamic Cleric Labelled ‘Global Terrorist’ By US - December 6, 2017