JPS Seeks Electricity Rate Increase
The Jamaica Public Service Company (JPS) is now seeking an increase in electricity rates, which, if approved, will result in the average residential and small business customer’s electricity bill increasing by 2.8 per cent.
The new rate structure would result in bills for larger customers being increased by between one and two per cent.
In the most recent rate review application, the JPS asks the Office of Utilities Commission (OUR) to set its non-fuel revenue target for the next 12 months at just under $51 billion.
While proposing an increase for the majority of its customers, the JPS has also asked the OUR to allow it to create a new rate class for its largest customers.
The new rate class, if approved, would see mega-size customers realising an average 21 per cent reduction in their bills.
The JPS hopes that reducing the rates for its biggest customers will deter them from going off the grid.
According to the JPS, if its biggest customers defect and set up their own off-grid power supply, the remaining JPS customers would be required to pay even higher electricity bills.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- How To Use The Internet For Additional Earnings - April 26, 2018
- Shaggy Performs At Queen Elizabeth’s Birthday Party - April 24, 2018
- Oil And Gas 3D Seismic Survey Nearly 50 Percent Complete - April 22, 2018
- Solange Knowles Writes Thank You Letter To Jamaica - April 21, 2018
- Canadian Politician Sparks Outrage With Remarks About Jamaicans, Later Apologises - April 20, 2018
- Health Ministry Reports Steep Rise In Obesity Among 13-15 Year Olds - April 19, 2018
- Counterfeit Goods Valuing Over $100 Million Seized, Two Chinese Nationals Arrested - April 18, 2018
- Jamaicans Among Thousands From Caribbean To See Their Status Legalised In The UK - April 17, 2018
- Murders Down By Nearly 80 Percent In St James Under State Of Emergency - April 16, 2018
- 27 Medals For Jamaica At 2018 Commonwealth Games - April 15, 2018