Ad Featuring Ben Johnson Sparks Outrage In Australia
A recently released commercial featuring the Jamaican-born Canadian former sprinter Ben Johnson has apparently upset Australia’s Anti-Doping Authority (ASADA).
Johnson set consecutive 100 metres world records at the 1987 World Championships in Athletics and the 1988 Summer Olympics, but he was disqualified for doping, losing the Olympic title and both records.
ASADA claims the advert featuring Johnson is making light of the use of performance-enhancing drugs stating:
“This advert makes light of the use of performance enhancing drugs in sport and sends the completely wrong message that the use of drugs in sport is normal.”
“This advertising campaign belittles the achievements of clean athletes and denigrates those who work to protect clean sport across the world.”
— ASADA Anti-Doping (@anti_doping) May 15, 2017
Australia’s federal sports minister Greg Hunt also stated that opting to use Johnson was utterly inappropriate, while Independent senator nick Xenophon hopes the country’s media watchdog, the Australian communications and media authority, will take action.
See the ad below:
— Sportsbet.com.au (@sportsbetcomau) May 15, 2017
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- 100 People Killed In First 20 Days Of 2018 - January 22, 2018
- Primary School To Be Renamed For Veronica Campbell Brown - January 22, 2018
- Three Members Of Family Killed In St Thomas - January 21, 2018
- Jamaican Leon Bailey Scores Cheeky Back-Heel Goal For Bayer Leverkusen - January 20, 2018
- Canadian, British Tourists In St James Urged To Stay Within Resorts - January 20, 2018
- Former West Indies Youth Cricketer Of The Year Xavier Marshall To Represent The USA - January 19, 2018
- Major Military Operation In St James - January 18, 2018
- Bolt To Donate $1 Million To Children’s Home Following Deadly Fire - January 17, 2018
- Mobay Man Charged For Quadruple Murder - January 17, 2018
- Jamaica To Send First Women’s Bobsleigh Team To Olympics - January 16, 2018