30 Medals for Jamaica at Carifta Swimming Championships
Jamaica impressed at the 32nd staging of the Carifta Swimming Championships.
Team Jamaica dominated all three categories of the girls’ 200m freestyle relays and exited the tournament in sixth place out of 20 teams with 30 medals and 530.50 points.
The medals are comprised of 12 gold, 8 silver and 10 bronze.
This is the island’s best result since 2014. Is it also the first time in over a decade, Jamaica took gold in the girls’ 11-12, 13-14 and 15-17 200m freestyle relays.
Zaneta Alvaranga, a student of Immaculate Conception High, set a new CARIFTA and national record of 29.05 in the Girls’ 11-12 50-metre butterfly.
Nathaniel Thomas was also outstanding. Thomas was crowned the fastest 11-12 boy in the region after winning the gold medal in a time of 29.52.
The CARIFTA Aquatics Championships is an annual, age-group aquatics championships for the Caribbean. It has been held since 1985, and is similar in form/origin to the track & field/athletics event: the CARIFTA Games.
The event is held under the auspices of CANOC, the Caribbean Association of National Olympic Committees.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: email@example.com
- Breaking: Cop Killed on Constant Spring Road - April 28, 2017
- Elaine Thompson to Face Schippers Again in May - April 28, 2017
- ‘Bibi’ Writes Touching Tribute to Germaine Mason - April 27, 2017
- Jamaican Cancer Sufferer Reportedly Claims He Was Tied Up and Kicked Off British Airways Flight - April 27, 2017
- Bolt’s World-Record Berlin Runs Named Best in World Championship History - April 27, 2017
- Young Reggae Boyz Defeat El Salvador 3-1 in CONCACAF U-17 Championship - April 27, 2017
- Teenager Allegedly Commits Suicide in St James - April 26, 2017
- Eight Alleged Scammers Extradited to the United States - April 26, 2017
- US May Soon Impose Tax on Remittances to Jamaica, Other Countries in the Region - April 26, 2017
- Damage From Flood Rains to Cost Gov’t Nearly Half a Billion Dollars - April 26, 2017