30 Medals for Jamaica at Carifta Swimming Championships
Jamaica impressed at the 32nd staging of the Carifta Swimming Championships.
Team Jamaica dominated all three categories of the girls’ 200m freestyle relays and exited the tournament in sixth place out of 20 teams with 30 medals and 530.50 points.
The medals are comprised of 12 gold, 8 silver and 10 bronze.
This is the island’s best result since 2014. Is it also the first time in over a decade, Jamaica took gold in the girls’ 11-12, 13-14 and 15-17 200m freestyle relays.
Zaneta Alvaranga, a student of Immaculate Conception High, set a new CARIFTA and national record of 29.05 in the Girls’ 11-12 50-metre butterfly.
Nathaniel Thomas was also outstanding. Thomas was crowned the fastest 11-12 boy in the region after winning the gold medal in a time of 29.52.
The CARIFTA Aquatics Championships is an annual, age-group aquatics championships for the Caribbean. It has been held since 1985, and is similar in form/origin to the track & field/athletics event: the CARIFTA Games.
The event is held under the auspices of CANOC, the Caribbean Association of National Olympic Committees.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- Three Members Of Family Killed In St Thomas - January 21, 2018
- Jamaican Leon Bailey Scores Cheeky Back-Heel Goal For Bayer Leverkusen - January 20, 2018
- Canadian, British Tourists In St James Urged To Stay Within Resorts - January 20, 2018
- Former West Indies Youth Cricketer Of The Year Xavier Marshall To Represent The USA - January 19, 2018
- Major Military Operation In St James - January 18, 2018
- Bolt To Donate $1 Million To Children’s Home Following Deadly Fire - January 17, 2018
- Mobay Man Charged For Quadruple Murder - January 17, 2018
- Jamaica To Send First Women’s Bobsleigh Team To Olympics - January 16, 2018
- Jamaican Singer Diana King Weds Her Partner Mijanne Webster - January 16, 2018
- More Than 20 People Hospitalised Following Collision In St Thomas - January 15, 2018