30 Medals for Jamaica at Carifta Swimming Championships
Jamaica impressed at the 32nd staging of the Carifta Swimming Championships.
Team Jamaica dominated all three categories of the girls’ 200m freestyle relays and exited the tournament in sixth place out of 20 teams with 30 medals and 530.50 points.
The medals are comprised of 12 gold, 8 silver and 10 bronze.
This is the island’s best result since 2014. Is it also the first time in over a decade, Jamaica took gold in the girls’ 11-12, 13-14 and 15-17 200m freestyle relays.
Zaneta Alvaranga, a student of Immaculate Conception High, set a new CARIFTA and national record of 29.05 in the Girls’ 11-12 50-metre butterfly.
Nathaniel Thomas was also outstanding. Thomas was crowned the fastest 11-12 boy in the region after winning the gold medal in a time of 29.52.
The CARIFTA Aquatics Championships is an annual, age-group aquatics championships for the Caribbean. It has been held since 1985, and is similar in form/origin to the track & field/athletics event: the CARIFTA Games.
The event is held under the auspices of CANOC, the Caribbean Association of National Olympic Committees.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- D&G Foundation Pumps 4.2 Million Into HEART Trust NTA Youth Development Programme - December 13, 2017
- Dancehall Artiste Mineral Boss Shot Dead In Caymanas Bay - December 13, 2017
- A New T20 Record! The ‘Universe Boss’ Smashes 146 Off 69 Balls (18 Sixes) - December 12, 2017
- Jamaica’s Edmund Bartlett Named Caribbean Tourism Minister of the Year - December 12, 2017
- Three Die After Gunmen Callously Attack Mourners At Funeral In Kingston - December 11, 2017
- Flash Flood Watch In Effect For Northern And Southeastern Parishes - December 11, 2017
- Jamaican Leon Bailey Delivers Two Assists In Leverkusen Win - December 10, 2017
- Jamaicans Driving Support Against Paediatric Cancer - December 9, 2017
- Missing US National Found - December 8, 2017
- Police Seek Public’s Help To Find Missing US National - December 7, 2017