30 Medals for Jamaica at Carifta Swimming Championships
Jamaica impressed at the 32nd staging of the Carifta Swimming Championships.
Team Jamaica dominated all three categories of the girls’ 200m freestyle relays and exited the tournament in sixth place out of 20 teams with 30 medals and 530.50 points.
The medals are comprised of 12 gold, 8 silver and 10 bronze.
This is the island’s best result since 2014. Is it also the first time in over a decade, Jamaica took gold in the girls’ 11-12, 13-14 and 15-17 200m freestyle relays.
Zaneta Alvaranga, a student of Immaculate Conception High, set a new CARIFTA and national record of 29.05 in the Girls’ 11-12 50-metre butterfly.
Nathaniel Thomas was also outstanding. Thomas was crowned the fastest 11-12 boy in the region after winning the gold medal in a time of 29.52.
The CARIFTA Aquatics Championships is an annual, age-group aquatics championships for the Caribbean. It has been held since 1985, and is similar in form/origin to the track & field/athletics event: the CARIFTA Games.
The event is held under the auspices of CANOC, the Caribbean Association of National Olympic Committees.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- 2018 FIFA World Cup Dream Still Alive For Jamaica’s Young Reggae Girlz - October 21, 2017
- Prolific Jamaican Striker Dane Kelly Earns Golden Boot Award In USL - October 20, 2017
- 91-Yr-Old Jamaican Man Killed, Wife Injured During Robbery In The US - October 19, 2017
- PM Gives Mount Salem ZOSO ‘B Plus’ Grade - October 19, 2017
- Several High Powered Weapons Seized at Newport West – JCF - October 18, 2017
- Reggae Boy Andre Blake Nominated For MLS Goalkeeper of the Year - October 18, 2017
- PM Declares Denham Town Second Zone of Special Operations - October 17, 2017
- Gunmen Kill Goat Farmer in St Elizabeth - October 17, 2017
- Sangster International Named Caribbean’s Leading Airport – World Travel Awards - October 15, 2017
- Jamaican Dollar Revalues Against US Greenback - October 14, 2017