Leon Bailey Could One Day Play for Jamaica – But….
Wonderkid Leon Bailey who currently plies his trade for German giants Bayer Leverkusen could one day represent Jamaica at the senior level, but not before Jamaican football improves – according to his agent Craig Butler.
Prior to signing for Bayer, Bailey was being hounded by several top flight teams in England – and playing for Jamaica could have potentially jeopardised his chances of playing in that country.
The English Football Association stipulates that in order for foreign players to obtain work permits, they must represent countries that have been in the top 50 of the FIFA rankings over the past two years.
However, Bailey now has a bit more flexibility in Germany’s top flight.
And Bailey’s agent is quoted by The Star as saying:
“I am a Jamaican and Leon is born a Jamaican. We love our country. We want what’s best for the country, as long as it doesn’t affect Leon or Kyle (Butler, Craig’s son who is also a footballer) or their career. Leon is already an 18.5m Euro player. He has no problem getting a work permit anywhere he goes.”
“The main issue is and always will be whether we have a proper football culture to allow players to work in a uniform and systematic way.”
“Our coaching (certification process) is not recognised worldwide by other countries. Jamaica is not providing coaches with the opportunity to gain work experience and income in the rest of the world.”
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- D&G Foundation Pumps 4.2 Million Into HEART Trust NTA Youth Development Programme - December 13, 2017
- Dancehall Artiste Mineral Boss Shot Dead In Caymanas Bay - December 13, 2017
- A New T20 Record! The ‘Universe Boss’ Smashes 146 Off 69 Balls (18 Sixes) - December 12, 2017
- Jamaica’s Edmund Bartlett Named Caribbean Tourism Minister of the Year - December 12, 2017
- Three Die After Gunmen Callously Attack Mourners At Funeral In Kingston - December 11, 2017
- Flash Flood Watch In Effect For Northern And Southeastern Parishes - December 11, 2017
- Jamaican Leon Bailey Delivers Two Assists In Leverkusen Win - December 10, 2017
- Jamaicans Driving Support Against Paediatric Cancer - December 9, 2017
- Missing US National Found - December 8, 2017
- Police Seek Public’s Help To Find Missing US National - December 7, 2017