Around 100 Deportees From the UK to Arrive in Jamaica Today (Updated)
Update – A lesser number of persons were deported, contrary to earlier reports – Only 32 persons were sent back to the island.
The National Security Ministry recently stated that standard arrangements have been put in place to receive deportees from the United Kingdom who are currently scheduled to arrive on the island on Wednesday (March 8).
The exact number of persons being shipped back to the island is not known but a report by British online newspaper – The Independent states that the number is around 100.
Sophia, a 47-year-old mother of three who has resided in the United Kingdom for close to three decades is reportedly among those to be sent back.
The report by The Independent states that the woman, whose full name was not revealed has lived in the UK for 25 years and has a 13-year-old son (her youngest) who suffers from Sickle-cell disease. She now fears that her son will be unable to get the medication and treatment he needs in Jamaica as she has no remaining family on the island.
Sophia is being deported as her indefinite leave to remain in the UK was revoked after she committed a non-violent crime.
She was reportedly told by the Home Office in the UK that she can either take her children to live with her in Jamaica, or communicate with them via Skype.
Last month, a British parliamentarian voiced his displeasure with a recent decision by the Jamaican government to reject a prison deal that would help to facilitate the construction of a modern prison on the island.
The prison once completed would be used to house hundreds of Jamaicans currently incarcerated in Britain.
Tory MP Philip Hollobone stated:
“The reaction from the Jamaican government is a complete disgrace.
“Their Ambassador should be called in and urgent arrangements should be made or some other solution to deport convicted Jamaican nationals who are taking prison places in our own jails.
“If they won’t accept them we should send the Jamaican government a bill for their annual incarceration.”
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- Reggae Boyz To Take On Saudi Arabia Next Month - September 26, 2017
- Top 5 Honeymoon Destinations - September 26, 2017
- Kartel Hospitalised - September 25, 2017
- Jermaine Barrett Dies After Hard Fought Battle With Cancer - September 25, 2017
- Most Wanted ‘Duppy Film’ Reportedly Killed By Police In St Thomas - September 24, 2017
- Miss Jamaica World 2017 Crowned - September 24, 2017
- US To Assist With Probe Into Tourist’s Death - September 23, 2017
- Autopsy On Medical Doctor’s Body To Be Conducted Today - September 22, 2017
- NCU Student Wins Full Tuition In Red Stripe ‘Drink Right’ App Design Competition - September 21, 2017
- Jamaican Model Gabrielle Davis Joins Cast Of VH1’s Love & Hip Hop: Miami - September 21, 2017