PM Confident Crime Can Be Curbed, JDF Battalion to be Stationed in Montego Bay
Prime Minister Andrew Holness recently expressed confidence that crime, particularly murders can be kept in check.
While delivering his New Year’s message to the nation, the prime minister disclosed that security forces in western regions of Jamaica will be restructured to bolster operations and administration.
The prime minister also revealed that a Jamaica Defence Force battalion is to be stationed in Montego Bay and the Jamaica Constabulary Force’s western division will be split.
A battalion is a military unit that typically consists of 300 to 800 soldiers.
International support in technical and strategic areas from friendly countries is already being sought according to the prime minister.
However, he also stated that every Jamaican must recognize that no foreign country can solve our crime problem or sponsor a solution.
He also stated:
“We must solve our crime problem as a nation.
We are confident that this year will be the break-through year in bringing the crime monster under control while respecting the human rights of every citizen.
As a government we are prepared to use the full force of the law to address the crime problem, as it is the greatest threat to Jamaica’s prospects, progress and prosperity at this time. I call on all Jamaicans to join the national effort against crime. Information is the best weapon against the criminal. Share it wisely.”
Over 1300 persons were murdered in Jamaica in 2015.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- Most Wanted ‘Duppy Film’ Reportedly Killed By Police In St Thomas - September 24, 2017
- Miss Jamaica World 2017 Crowned - September 24, 2017
- US To Assist With Probe Into Tourist’s Death - September 23, 2017
- Autopsy On Medical Doctor’s Body To Be Conducted Today - September 22, 2017
- NCU Student Wins Full Tuition In Red Stripe ‘Drink Right’ App Design Competition - September 21, 2017
- Jamaican Model Gabrielle Davis Joins Cast Of VH1’s Love & Hip Hop: Miami - September 21, 2017
- Jamaica By Bike Returns With Kingston To Negril Charity Ride - September 20, 2017
- Cop Killed By Gunmen At His Home In St Catherine - September 20, 2017
- Category 5 Hurricane Maria Leaves “Widespread Devastation” In Dominica, Continues To Rip Through Caribbean - September 19, 2017
- Minor Earthquake Rattles Several Parishes - September 18, 2017