Jamaican-American Lawyer Sworn in as California Senator
Kamala Harris, an attorney at law who has Jamaican roots, was recently sworn in as California’s newest senator.
On Tuesday (November 8, 2016 ), California voters elected Kamala Harris, to the US Senate, breaking a colour barrier that has stood for as long as California statehood.
Harris, who has a Jamaican father and an Indian mother has now become the first black politician in history to represent California in the Senate and only the second black woman in the nation’s history to serve in Congress’ upper chamber.
She soundly beat her rival – fellow Democrat Loretta Sanchez for the open Senate seat.
Harris was officially sworn in on January 3 in front of family and friends.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- Most Wanted ‘Duppy Film’ Reportedly Killed By Police In St Thomas - September 24, 2017
- Miss Jamaica World 2017 Crowned - September 24, 2017
- US To Assist With Probe Into Tourist’s Death - September 23, 2017
- Autopsy On Medical Doctor’s Body To Be Conducted Today - September 22, 2017
- NCU Student Wins Full Tuition In Red Stripe ‘Drink Right’ App Design Competition - September 21, 2017
- Jamaican Model Gabrielle Davis Joins Cast Of VH1’s Love & Hip Hop: Miami - September 21, 2017
- Jamaica By Bike Returns With Kingston To Negril Charity Ride - September 20, 2017
- Cop Killed By Gunmen At His Home In St Catherine - September 20, 2017
- Category 5 Hurricane Maria Leaves “Widespread Devastation” In Dominica, Continues To Rip Through Caribbean - September 19, 2017
- Minor Earthquake Rattles Several Parishes - September 18, 2017