Jamaican-American Lawyer Sworn in as California Senator
Kamala Harris, an attorney at law who has Jamaican roots, was recently sworn in as California’s newest senator.
On Tuesday (November 8, 2016 ), California voters elected Kamala Harris, to the US Senate, breaking a colour barrier that has stood for as long as California statehood.
Harris, who has a Jamaican father and an Indian mother has now become the first black politician in history to represent California in the Senate and only the second black woman in the nation’s history to serve in Congress’ upper chamber.
She soundly beat her rival – fellow Democrat Loretta Sanchez for the open Senate seat.
Harris was officially sworn in on January 3 in front of family and friends.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- Armed Robbers Steal ONLY Food From Popular Jamaican Restaurant in Florida - July 23, 2017
- Westmoreland’s Most Wanted Killed By Police - July 22, 2017
- Reggae Boyz Eyeing Spot in Gold Cup Final - July 22, 2017
- Bolt Wins 100m Diamond League Sprint Ahead Of World Championships - July 21, 2017
- High-Powered Weapons, Over 4000 Rounds Ammunition Found At Wharves - July 21, 2017
- Prominent Montego Bay Businessman Shot Dead By Gunman - July 20, 2017
- Gunmen Open Fire On Denham Town Police Station - July 19, 2017
- Bolt, Omar McLeod to Face Off In Monaco - July 19, 2017
- Jamaican Doctor Dies In Cayman After Being Struck By Taxi - July 18, 2017
- Red Stripe Bikers Rollout: Red Stripe Implores Motorcyclists to Drive Responsibly - July 18, 2017