Jamaican-American Lawyer Sworn in as California Senator
Kamala Harris, an attorney at law who has Jamaican roots, was recently sworn in as California’s newest senator.
On Tuesday (November 8, 2016 ), California voters elected Kamala Harris, to the US Senate, breaking a colour barrier that has stood for as long as California statehood.
Harris, who has a Jamaican father and an Indian mother has now become the first black politician in history to represent California in the Senate and only the second black woman in the nation’s history to serve in Congress’ upper chamber.
She soundly beat her rival – fellow Democrat Loretta Sanchez for the open Senate seat.
Harris was officially sworn in on January 3 in front of family and friends.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: email@example.com
- Popcaan & Gorillaz Track Racks Up Nearly 10 Million Views in 3 Days on YouTube - March 26, 2017
- Jamaica Ranked 12th in List of Top Travel Destinations Globally, 1st in Caribbean - March 25, 2017
- BREAKING: 3 Business Operators Killed in Hanover - March 25, 2017
- Dutch Football Great Van Nistelrooy Visits Jamaica, Bigs Up Bolt (VIDEO) - March 25, 2017
- Elderly Business Woman Reportedly Chopped to Death in St Andrew - March 24, 2017
- Police Officer Dies After Car Runs Into Parked Truck - March 24, 2017
- Hundreds of Travelers Denied Entry into Jamaica - March 24, 2017
- Trump Inauguration Performer Heading to Jamaica For Easter - March 24, 2017
- Prominent Houston Surgeon of Jamaican Parentage Killed in Murder-Suicide (VIDEO) - March 23, 2017
- Opposition Storms Out of Parliament - March 23, 2017