Jamaican-American Lawyer Sworn in as California Senator
Kamala Harris, an attorney at law who has Jamaican roots, was recently sworn in as California’s newest senator.
On Tuesday (November 8, 2016 ), California voters elected Kamala Harris, to the US Senate, breaking a colour barrier that has stood for as long as California statehood.
Harris, who has a Jamaican father and an Indian mother has now become the first black politician in history to represent California in the Senate and only the second black woman in the nation’s history to serve in Congress’ upper chamber.
She soundly beat her rival – fellow Democrat Loretta Sanchez for the open Senate seat.
Harris was officially sworn in on January 3 in front of family and friends.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- Leon Bailey Named In Provisional Reggae Boyz Squad For 2020 Olympic Qualifiers - February 24, 2018
- Live Oil Seeps Discovered In Jamaica! - February 23, 2018
- Two Charged For Murder Of Elderly Jamaican-Canadian Couple - February 22, 2018
- Justin Bieber And Selena Gomez Visit Jamaica For His Dad’s Wedding - February 21, 2018
- Fire Destroys Historic Methodist Church In St Ann - February 21, 2018
- Jamaican Man Labelled A Hero After Saving Young Girl From Vicious Pit Bull In Florida - February 20, 2018
- Jamaica’s Female Bobsleighers Complete Impressive Run At Winter Olympics - February 20, 2018
- Leon Bailey Steals Ball Off Defender, Evades Goalkeeper To Score - February 19, 2018
- Jimmy Cliff’s Daughter In Marvel’s Black Panther Movie - February 18, 2018
- Victim In Florida Mass Shooting Reportedly Has Jamaican Roots (Updated) - February 16, 2018