Jamaica Experiencing a Shortage of Critical Care Nurses
Jamaica is currently in need of between 250 to 300 Critical Care or Specialist Nurses the Health Ministry has revealed.
Health Minster Dr. Christopher Tufton made the disclosure recently after the need for more of these nurses was highlighted by Chairman of the University Hospital of the West Indies, James Moss Solomon.
It has now been reported that 112 nurses from Cuba, including 47 who specialise in critical care, are to arrive in Jamaica next month to ease the shortage of specialist nurses here.
According to the Observer, On Thursday (December 5) Chief Medical Officer Dr Winston De La Haye disclosed that the nurses are coming as part of an agreement between Kingston and Havana.
His revelation came only a day after University Hospital of West Indies (UHWI) Chairman James Moss-Solomon disclosed that the hospital was forced to cancel major surgeries due to a shortage of specialist nurses and Intensive Care Unit beds.
The shortage, he said, was being fuelled by the poaching of specialist nurses by foreign companies, despite the hospital doubling the numbers of nurses being trained in specialised disciplines.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- How To Use The Internet For Additional Earnings - April 26, 2018
- Shaggy Performs At Queen Elizabeth’s Birthday Party - April 24, 2018
- Oil And Gas 3D Seismic Survey Nearly 50 Percent Complete - April 22, 2018
- Solange Knowles Writes Thank You Letter To Jamaica - April 21, 2018
- Canadian Politician Sparks Outrage With Remarks About Jamaicans, Later Apologises - April 20, 2018
- Health Ministry Reports Steep Rise In Obesity Among 13-15 Year Olds - April 19, 2018
- Counterfeit Goods Valuing Over $100 Million Seized, Two Chinese Nationals Arrested - April 18, 2018
- Jamaicans Among Thousands From Caribbean To See Their Status Legalised In The UK - April 17, 2018
- Murders Down By Nearly 80 Percent In St James Under State Of Emergency - April 16, 2018
- 27 Medals For Jamaica At 2018 Commonwealth Games - April 15, 2018