Jamaica Experiencing a Shortage of Critical Care Nurses
Jamaica is currently in need of between 250 to 300 Critical Care or Specialist Nurses the Health Ministry has revealed.
Health Minster Dr. Christopher Tufton made the disclosure recently after the need for more of these nurses was highlighted by Chairman of the University Hospital of the West Indies, James Moss Solomon.
It has now been reported that 112 nurses from Cuba, including 47 who specialise in critical care, are to arrive in Jamaica next month to ease the shortage of specialist nurses here.
According to the Observer, On Thursday (December 5) Chief Medical Officer Dr Winston De La Haye disclosed that the nurses are coming as part of an agreement between Kingston and Havana.
His revelation came only a day after University Hospital of West Indies (UHWI) Chairman James Moss-Solomon disclosed that the hospital was forced to cancel major surgeries due to a shortage of specialist nurses and Intensive Care Unit beds.
The shortage, he said, was being fuelled by the poaching of specialist nurses by foreign companies, despite the hospital doubling the numbers of nurses being trained in specialised disciplines.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: email@example.com
- Popcaan & Gorillaz Track Racks Up Nearly 10 Million Views in 3 Days on YouTube - March 26, 2017
- Jamaica Ranked 12th in List of Top Travel Destinations Globally, 1st in Caribbean - March 25, 2017
- BREAKING: 3 Business Operators Killed in Hanover - March 25, 2017
- Dutch Football Great Van Nistelrooy Visits Jamaica, Bigs Up Bolt (VIDEO) - March 25, 2017
- Elderly Business Woman Reportedly Chopped to Death in St Andrew - March 24, 2017
- Police Officer Dies After Car Runs Into Parked Truck - March 24, 2017
- Hundreds of Travelers Denied Entry into Jamaica - March 24, 2017
- Trump Inauguration Performer Heading to Jamaica For Easter - March 24, 2017
- Prominent Houston Surgeon of Jamaican Parentage Killed in Murder-Suicide (VIDEO) - March 23, 2017
- Opposition Storms Out of Parliament - March 23, 2017