Jamaica Experiencing a Shortage of Critical Care Nurses
Jamaica is currently in need of between 250 to 300 Critical Care or Specialist Nurses the Health Ministry has revealed.
Health Minster Dr. Christopher Tufton made the disclosure recently after the need for more of these nurses was highlighted by Chairman of the University Hospital of the West Indies, James Moss Solomon.
It has now been reported that 112 nurses from Cuba, including 47 who specialise in critical care, are to arrive in Jamaica next month to ease the shortage of specialist nurses here.
According to the Observer, On Thursday (December 5) Chief Medical Officer Dr Winston De La Haye disclosed that the nurses are coming as part of an agreement between Kingston and Havana.
His revelation came only a day after University Hospital of West Indies (UHWI) Chairman James Moss-Solomon disclosed that the hospital was forced to cancel major surgeries due to a shortage of specialist nurses and Intensive Care Unit beds.
The shortage, he said, was being fuelled by the poaching of specialist nurses by foreign companies, despite the hospital doubling the numbers of nurses being trained in specialised disciplines.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: email@example.com
- Jamaica Recognised As Top Performing Island Economy Globally For Business Friendliness - June 28, 2017
- England, Australia Gear Up For The Ashes Series - June 27, 2017
- Elderly Man Collapses at Norman Manley Airport, Dies - June 27, 2017
- Bolt Nominated For Coveted ESPY Award - June 27, 2017
- Jamaican Dollar Continues to Revalue, May Re-enter $128 to US$1 Territory - June 26, 2017
- Omar McLeod Smashes National 110M Hurdles Record - June 25, 2017
- Substation Fire Plunges Sections of St Ann Into Darkness - June 25, 2017
- Hanover’s Most Wanted Man Killed - June 24, 2017
- Pepsi-Cola Jamaica Signs Shenseea As Brand Ambassador - June 24, 2017
- Man Afflicted By Water-Borne Disease Tests Negative For Cholera - June 24, 2017