Jamaica Experiencing a Shortage of Critical Care Nurses
Jamaica is currently in need of between 250 to 300 Critical Care or Specialist Nurses the Health Ministry has revealed.
Health Minster Dr. Christopher Tufton made the disclosure recently after the need for more of these nurses was highlighted by Chairman of the University Hospital of the West Indies, James Moss Solomon.
It has now been reported that 112 nurses from Cuba, including 47 who specialise in critical care, are to arrive in Jamaica next month to ease the shortage of specialist nurses here.
According to the Observer, On Thursday (December 5) Chief Medical Officer Dr Winston De La Haye disclosed that the nurses are coming as part of an agreement between Kingston and Havana.
His revelation came only a day after University Hospital of West Indies (UHWI) Chairman James Moss-Solomon disclosed that the hospital was forced to cancel major surgeries due to a shortage of specialist nurses and Intensive Care Unit beds.
The shortage, he said, was being fuelled by the poaching of specialist nurses by foreign companies, despite the hospital doubling the numbers of nurses being trained in specialised disciplines.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Breaking: Cop Killed on Constant Spring Road - April 28, 2017
- Elaine Thompson to Face Schippers Again in May - April 28, 2017
- ‘Bibi’ Writes Touching Tribute to Germaine Mason - April 27, 2017
- Jamaican Cancer Sufferer Reportedly Claims He Was Tied Up and Kicked Off British Airways Flight - April 27, 2017
- Bolt’s World-Record Berlin Runs Named Best in World Championship History - April 27, 2017
- Young Reggae Boyz Defeat El Salvador 3-1 in CONCACAF U-17 Championship - April 27, 2017
- Teenager Allegedly Commits Suicide in St James - April 26, 2017
- Eight Alleged Scammers Extradited to the United States - April 26, 2017
- US May Soon Impose Tax on Remittances to Jamaica, Other Countries in the Region - April 26, 2017
- Damage From Flood Rains to Cost Gov’t Nearly Half a Billion Dollars - April 26, 2017