Jamaica Experiencing a Shortage of Critical Care Nurses
Jamaica is currently in need of between 250 to 300 Critical Care or Specialist Nurses the Health Ministry has revealed.
Health Minster Dr. Christopher Tufton made the disclosure recently after the need for more of these nurses was highlighted by Chairman of the University Hospital of the West Indies, James Moss Solomon.
It has now been reported that 112 nurses from Cuba, including 47 who specialise in critical care, are to arrive in Jamaica next month to ease the shortage of specialist nurses here.
According to the Observer, On Thursday (December 5) Chief Medical Officer Dr Winston De La Haye disclosed that the nurses are coming as part of an agreement between Kingston and Havana.
His revelation came only a day after University Hospital of West Indies (UHWI) Chairman James Moss-Solomon disclosed that the hospital was forced to cancel major surgeries due to a shortage of specialist nurses and Intensive Care Unit beds.
The shortage, he said, was being fuelled by the poaching of specialist nurses by foreign companies, despite the hospital doubling the numbers of nurses being trained in specialised disciplines.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- Jamaica’s Edmund Bartlett Named Caribbean Tourism Minister of the Year - December 12, 2017
- Three Die After Gunmen Callously Attack Mourners At Funeral In Kingston - December 11, 2017
- Flash Flood Watch In Effect For Northern And Southeastern Parishes - December 11, 2017
- Jamaican Leon Bailey Delivers Two Assists In Leverkusen Win - December 10, 2017
- Jamaicans Driving Support Against Paediatric Cancer - December 9, 2017
- Missing US National Found - December 8, 2017
- Police Seek Public’s Help To Find Missing US National - December 7, 2017
- Ian Boyne Recuperating Following Medical Emergency, Says “I Am Grateful To God” - December 7, 2017
- US Agents Intercept Over 100 Guns, Ammo Destined For Jamaica - December 6, 2017
- Jamaican Islamic Cleric Labelled ‘Global Terrorist’ By US - December 6, 2017