My Tribute to the Honourable Portia Simpson Miller
Today you celebrate another milestone of your life, a life that truly speaks volumes to the STALWART, the HEROINE, the BEACON, the FLAME, the STRONG WOMAN that you are.
You have truly epitomized the FACT that anything is possible no matter your stake in life, and that when DETERMINATION, PERSEVERANCE, and AMBITION are used as tools to full fill a dream, you can get there.
You have given other little bare footed girls the POWER to BELIEVE in themselves, the gift that they too can one day touch greatness and revel in it.
You have withstood the SNARES, the DISRESPECT, the VENOM hurled at you through the years, and while others would have bowed their heads in SHAME and SADNESS, you kept yours HIGH, as the QUEEN you are.
Nanny of the Maroons would be PROUD OF YOU.
Her blood flowing through your veins gave PRIDE and VOICE to the STRONG BLACK WOMAN YOU ARE, the STRONG BLACK WOMAN who in not taking rubbish from anyone would SPEAK with words and tones that made others QUESTION who you were.
But that was your passion, to SPEAK with NO FILTERS, and in so doing only those who understood that passion, understood that it came from a place of LOVE and the NEED to set things right.
You have withstood so much and not once DID YOU FALTER.
Truly you have the backbone of the ANCESTORS who fought for the freedom of our people, the ancestors who knew that we were more than CHAINS, SLAVES and LESS THAN.
Today I SALUTE YOU, AND WHEN I GROW UP I WANT TO BE JUST LIKE YOU.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY AND GOD BLESS YOU.
By Michelle Bradshaw
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- What Kind of Women Do Our Young Black Girls Emulate? - March 4, 2017
- Is Organ Harvesting in Jamaica Really that Far-fetched? - February 10, 2017
- Dear Women of Jamaica - February 7, 2017
- Attending Church Does Not Guarantee a Ticket to Heaven! - January 8, 2017
- My Tribute to the Honourable Portia Simpson Miller - December 12, 2016
- Viva Fidel Castro and Michael Manley! - November 27, 2016
- Jamaican Woman Fears the US is Taking Backward Steps With Racial Equality - November 17, 2016
- Justice For the Poor in Jamaica is a Farce - October 25, 2016
- I am Truly Heartbroken By the Behaviour of Some Jamaicans - June 22, 2016
- Are All Police Officers in Jamaica Taught First Aid? - June 11, 2016