Happy Birthday Yohan Blake
The world’s second fastest man turns 27 today!
Yohan Blake, born December 26, 1989 in the parish of St James has won numerous honours for Jamaica.
Prior to helping Jamaica win gold in the men’s 4x100m relay at the Rio Olympics earlier this year, he won gold in the 100 m at the 2011 World Championships.
The following year, he won a silver medal at the 2012 Olympic Games in London in the 100 m and 200 m races for the Jamaican team.
Blake attended St. Jago High School in Spanish Town where his first sporting love was cricket.
His passion belonged to cricket at the time and more specifically fast bwoling. It was only after the school Principal saw how quickly he ran to the wicket that he was urged to try sprinting
At the 2011 World Championships, at just 21 years of age, Blake became the youngest 100 metres world champion ever, surpassing Carl Lewis, who won the event at 1983 World Championships at the age of 22 years, 38 days.
In 2013, Blake fell victim to recurring and horrific hamstring injuries that seriously threatened his career.
However, despite his injury woes, Blake persevered and represented Jamaica well at the Rio Olympics.
Blake, with his 9.69 clocking at the Athletissima Diamond League meet in Lausanne, Switzerland (2012) means that he currently shares the designation of the second fastest man ever with the American sprinter Tyson Gay.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- Ninjaman To Be Sentenced Next Monday - December 16, 2017
- Hyundai Motor Launches “Be There With Hyundai” Fan Competition for 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia™ - December 15, 2017
- Flash Flood Watch Discontinued For Northern Parishes - December 15, 2017
- Chelsea Reportedly Eager To Sign Jamaican Football Star Leon Bailey - December 14, 2017
- D&G Foundation Pumps 4.2 Million Into HEART Trust NTA Youth Development Programme - December 13, 2017
- Dancehall Artiste Mineral Boss Shot Dead In Caymanas Bay - December 13, 2017
- A New T20 Record! The ‘Universe Boss’ Smashes 146 Off 69 Balls (18 Sixes) - December 12, 2017
- Jamaica’s Edmund Bartlett Named Caribbean Tourism Minister of the Year - December 12, 2017
- Three Die After Gunmen Callously Attack Mourners At Funeral In Kingston - December 11, 2017
- Flash Flood Watch In Effect For Northern And Southeastern Parishes - December 11, 2017