Happy Birthday Yohan Blake
The world’s second fastest man turns 27 today!
Yohan Blake, born December 26, 1989 in the parish of St James has won numerous honours for Jamaica.
Prior to helping Jamaica win gold in the men’s 4x100m relay at the Rio Olympics earlier this year, he won gold in the 100 m at the 2011 World Championships.
The following year, he won a silver medal at the 2012 Olympic Games in London in the 100 m and 200 m races for the Jamaican team.
Blake attended St. Jago High School in Spanish Town where his first sporting love was cricket.
His passion belonged to cricket at the time and more specifically fast bwoling. It was only after the school Principal saw how quickly he ran to the wicket that he was urged to try sprinting
At the 2011 World Championships, at just 21 years of age, Blake became the youngest 100 metres world champion ever, surpassing Carl Lewis, who won the event at 1983 World Championships at the age of 22 years, 38 days.
In 2013, Blake fell victim to recurring and horrific hamstring injuries that seriously threatened his career.
However, despite his injury woes, Blake persevered and represented Jamaica well at the Rio Olympics.
Blake, with his 9.69 clocking at the Athletissima Diamond League meet in Lausanne, Switzerland (2012) means that he currently shares the designation of the second fastest man ever with the American sprinter Tyson Gay.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- Getting De-Inked: Why Jamaicans Are Rethinking Their Tattoos - March 20, 2018
- Jay Z, Beyonce Visit Jamaica - March 20, 2018
- State Of Public Emergency Declared In St. Catherine North Police Division - March 19, 2018
- Plans In Place To Make Port Royal Jamaica’s Next Big Cruise Destination - March 18, 2018
- Jamaican Among Six Killed In Bridge Collapse At Florida University - March 17, 2018
- Police Seize Over 1000 Rounds Of Assorted Ammunition In Cemetery – JCF - March 16, 2018
- Lisa Hanna – “Trump’s Tariffs Could Hurt Jamaica Badly!” - March 15, 2018
- 20 Million Streams On Spotify For Devin Di Dakta - March 15, 2018
- Jamaican Artiste Sues Miley Cyrus For US$300 Million Over ‘We Can’t Stop’ - March 14, 2018
- US$500 Round Trip Flights From Jamaica To Germany Now Being Offered - March 14, 2018