Happy Birthday Yohan Blake
The world’s second fastest man turns 27 today!
Yohan Blake, born December 26, 1989 in the parish of St James has won numerous honours for Jamaica.
Prior to helping Jamaica win gold in the men’s 4x100m relay at the Rio Olympics earlier this year, he won gold in the 100 m at the 2011 World Championships.
The following year, he won a silver medal at the 2012 Olympic Games in London in the 100 m and 200 m races for the Jamaican team.
Blake attended St. Jago High School in Spanish Town where his first sporting love was cricket.
His passion belonged to cricket at the time and more specifically fast bwoling. It was only after the school Principal saw how quickly he ran to the wicket that he was urged to try sprinting
At the 2011 World Championships, at just 21 years of age, Blake became the youngest 100 metres world champion ever, surpassing Carl Lewis, who won the event at 1983 World Championships at the age of 22 years, 38 days.
In 2013, Blake fell victim to recurring and horrific hamstring injuries that seriously threatened his career.
However, despite his injury woes, Blake persevered and represented Jamaica well at the Rio Olympics.
Blake, with his 9.69 clocking at the Athletissima Diamond League meet in Lausanne, Switzerland (2012) means that he currently shares the designation of the second fastest man ever with the American sprinter Tyson Gay.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- ‘A Lot’ Of Football Clubs Have Contacted Me – Usain Bolt - October 22, 2017
- 2018 FIFA World Cup Dream Still Alive For Jamaica’s Young Reggae Girlz - October 21, 2017
- Prolific Jamaican Striker Dane Kelly Earns Golden Boot Award In USL - October 20, 2017
- 91-Yr-Old Jamaican Man Killed, Wife Injured During Robbery In The US - October 19, 2017
- PM Gives Mount Salem ZOSO ‘B Plus’ Grade - October 19, 2017
- Several High Powered Weapons Seized at Newport West – JCF - October 18, 2017
- Reggae Boy Andre Blake Nominated For MLS Goalkeeper of the Year - October 18, 2017
- PM Declares Denham Town Second Zone of Special Operations - October 17, 2017
- Gunmen Kill Goat Farmer in St Elizabeth - October 17, 2017
- Sangster International Named Caribbean’s Leading Airport – World Travel Awards - October 15, 2017