At Least 350 Killed in Road Accidents So Far This Year
At least 350 persons have perished after being involved in accidents on the nation’s roads since the beginning of the year.
Data from the Road Safety Unit (RSU) in the Ministry of Transport and Mining, shows that the figure up to November of this year was two per cent less than for the corresponding period in 2015 which saw a total of 382 persons die from road crashes island-wide.
The RSU notes passengers and motorcyclists as the leading groups among the fatalities.
They accounted for 29 per cent and 25 per cent, respectively.
The fatalities among passengers increased by 43 per cent in comparison to 2015.
According to the data, pedestrians accounted for 22 per cent of the fatalities, while private motor vehicle passengers accounted for 19 per cent.
Overall, the combination of pedestrians, motorcyclists, private motor vehicle passengers and private motor vehicle drivers, accounted 80 per cent of the fatalities.
With four parishes – St Catherine, Westmoreland, St Andrew and St Elizabeth – accounting for a combined 54 per cent of the overall fatalities, St Catherine led the way with 17 per cent of the national figure.
Via Loop Jamaica
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- Reggae Girlz Train At Montego Bay Sports Complex Today - January 20, 2019
- Charles Chocolates Dancin’ Dynamites ‘Mad And Mean’ For Season 14 - January 16, 2019
- Here Is Why 2019 Will Be A Great Year For Tourism In Jamaica - January 15, 2019
- Reggae Boy Peter-Lee Vassell Drafted by Los Angeles FC - January 13, 2019
- Caribbean Food And Drink Festival “Taste The Islands Experience” Returns To Fort Lauderdale—Bigger And Better - January 10, 2019
- Buju Concert Scheduled For March 16th In Jamaica - January 6, 2019
- Ruffi Delivers Again With New Single ‘Pressure’ - January 2, 2019
- PM And Security Experts Meet To Plan Further Anti-Crime Strategies - January 1, 2019
- New Short Film Shines Light On Bob Marley’s Love For Football - December 30, 2018
- Leon Bailey To Be Instructed By New Coach At Bayer Leverkusen - December 26, 2018