The World’s Oldest Female Boxing Champion is Jamaican!
The world’s oldest female boxing champion is a Jamaican.
Alicia ‘Slick’ Ashley, at 48 years of age is now the world’s oldest female boxing champion according to Guinness World Records .
She was recognized for the record at the World Boxing Council’s Female Convention in Tijuana, Mexico.
She is a five time world champion and is currently the world super bantamweight champion following a victory over Christina McMahon of Ireland in October 2015.
She has won 23 times, four via knockout, and lost 10 times with one draw in her lengthy career.
Ashley has been boxing for 20 years but started boxing professionally in 1999 following a short but successful amateur career.
However the veteran boxer doesn’t seem as if she intends to hang up her boxing gloves any time soon.
While speaking with Guinness World Records, Ashley stated:
“There was no real challenge to stay in shape. I’ve been an athlete since age 6 and enjoy working out. What is hard is maintaining the passion to fight.”
“I love to complete, so as long as there is a competition on the horizon, I will continue to train.”
Ashley is the younger sister of Maurice Ashley, the first black grandmaster to enter the US hall of fame.
She is currently slated to defend her WBC Super Bantamweight belt on August 13, when she takes on Mexican challenger Yessica Tovar.
Check out this feature on Ashley below via BRIC TV:
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- ‘A Lot’ Of Football Clubs Have Contacted Me – Usain Bolt - October 22, 2017
- 2018 FIFA World Cup Dream Still Alive For Jamaica’s Young Reggae Girlz - October 21, 2017
- Prolific Jamaican Striker Dane Kelly Earns Golden Boot Award In USL - October 20, 2017
- 91-Yr-Old Jamaican Man Killed, Wife Injured During Robbery In The US - October 19, 2017
- PM Gives Mount Salem ZOSO ‘B Plus’ Grade - October 19, 2017
- Several High Powered Weapons Seized at Newport West – JCF - October 18, 2017
- Reggae Boy Andre Blake Nominated For MLS Goalkeeper of the Year - October 18, 2017
- PM Declares Denham Town Second Zone of Special Operations - October 17, 2017
- Gunmen Kill Goat Farmer in St Elizabeth - October 17, 2017
- Sangster International Named Caribbean’s Leading Airport – World Travel Awards - October 15, 2017