The World’s Oldest Female Boxing Champion is Jamaican!
The world’s oldest female boxing champion is a Jamaican.
Alicia ‘Slick’ Ashley, at 48 years of age is now the world’s oldest female boxing champion according to Guinness World Records .
She was recognized for the record at the World Boxing Council’s Female Convention in Tijuana, Mexico.
She is a five time world champion and is currently the world super bantamweight champion following a victory over Christina McMahon of Ireland in October 2015.
She has won 23 times, four via knockout, and lost 10 times with one draw in her lengthy career.
Ashley has been boxing for 20 years but started boxing professionally in 1999 following a short but successful amateur career.
However the veteran boxer doesn’t seem as if she intends to hang up her boxing gloves any time soon.
While speaking with Guinness World Records, Ashley stated:
“There was no real challenge to stay in shape. I’ve been an athlete since age 6 and enjoy working out. What is hard is maintaining the passion to fight.”
“I love to complete, so as long as there is a competition on the horizon, I will continue to train.”
Ashley is the younger sister of Maurice Ashley, the first black grandmaster to enter the US hall of fame.
She is currently slated to defend her WBC Super Bantamweight belt on August 13, when she takes on Mexican challenger Yessica Tovar.
Check out this feature on Ashley below via BRIC TV:
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- Shaggy Performs At Queen Elizabeth’s Birthday Party - April 24, 2018
- Oil And Gas 3D Seismic Survey Nearly 50 Percent Complete - April 22, 2018
- Solange Knowles Writes Thank You Letter To Jamaica - April 21, 2018
- Canadian Politician Sparks Outrage With Remarks About Jamaicans, Later Apologises - April 20, 2018
- Health Ministry Reports Steep Rise In Obesity Among 13-15 Year Olds - April 19, 2018
- Counterfeit Goods Valuing Over $100 Million Seized, Two Chinese Nationals Arrested - April 18, 2018
- Jamaicans Among Thousands From Caribbean To See Their Status Legalised In The UK - April 17, 2018
- Murders Down By Nearly 80 Percent In St James Under State Of Emergency - April 16, 2018
- 27 Medals For Jamaica At 2018 Commonwealth Games - April 15, 2018
- Leon Bailey Backs Bolt To Succeed As A Professional Footballer - April 14, 2018