The World’s Oldest Female Boxing Champion is Jamaican!
The world’s oldest female boxing champion is a Jamaican.
Alicia ‘Slick’ Ashley, at 48 years of age is now the world’s oldest female boxing champion according to Guinness World Records .
She was recognized for the record at the World Boxing Council’s Female Convention in Tijuana, Mexico.
She is a five time world champion and is currently the world super bantamweight champion following a victory over Christina McMahon of Ireland in October 2015.
She has won 23 times, four via knockout, and lost 10 times with one draw in her lengthy career.
Ashley has been boxing for 20 years but started boxing professionally in 1999 following a short but successful amateur career.
However the veteran boxer doesn’t seem as if she intends to hang up her boxing gloves any time soon.
While speaking with Guinness World Records, Ashley stated:
“There was no real challenge to stay in shape. I’ve been an athlete since age 6 and enjoy working out. What is hard is maintaining the passion to fight.”
“I love to complete, so as long as there is a competition on the horizon, I will continue to train.”
Ashley is the younger sister of Maurice Ashley, the first black grandmaster to enter the US hall of fame.
She is currently slated to defend her WBC Super Bantamweight belt on August 13, when she takes on Mexican challenger Yessica Tovar.
Check out this feature on Ashley below via BRIC TV:
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: email@example.com
- Jamaica Recognised As Top Performing Island Economy Globally For Business Friendliness - June 28, 2017
- England, Australia Gear Up For The Ashes Series - June 27, 2017
- Elderly Man Collapses at Norman Manley Airport, Dies - June 27, 2017
- Bolt Nominated For Coveted ESPY Award - June 27, 2017
- Jamaican Dollar Continues to Revalue, May Re-enter $128 to US$1 Territory - June 26, 2017
- Omar McLeod Smashes National 110M Hurdles Record - June 25, 2017
- Substation Fire Plunges Sections of St Ann Into Darkness - June 25, 2017
- Hanover’s Most Wanted Man Killed - June 24, 2017
- Pepsi-Cola Jamaica Signs Shenseea As Brand Ambassador - June 24, 2017
- Man Afflicted By Water-Borne Disease Tests Negative For Cholera - June 24, 2017