The World’s Oldest Female Boxing Champion is Jamaican!
The world’s oldest female boxing champion is a Jamaican.
Alicia ‘Slick’ Ashley, at 48 years of age is now the world’s oldest female boxing champion according to Guinness World Records .
She was recognized for the record at the World Boxing Council’s Female Convention in Tijuana, Mexico.
She is a five time world champion and is currently the world super bantamweight champion following a victory over Christina McMahon of Ireland in October 2015.
She has won 23 times, four via knockout, and lost 10 times with one draw in her lengthy career.
Ashley has been boxing for 20 years but started boxing professionally in 1999 following a short but successful amateur career.
However the veteran boxer doesn’t seem as if she intends to hang up her boxing gloves any time soon.
While speaking with Guinness World Records, Ashley stated:
“There was no real challenge to stay in shape. I’ve been an athlete since age 6 and enjoy working out. What is hard is maintaining the passion to fight.”
“I love to complete, so as long as there is a competition on the horizon, I will continue to train.”
Ashley is the younger sister of Maurice Ashley, the first black grandmaster to enter the US hall of fame.
She is currently slated to defend her WBC Super Bantamweight belt on August 13, when she takes on Mexican challenger Yessica Tovar.
Check out this feature on Ashley below via BRIC TV:
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- D&G Foundation Pumps 4.2 Million Into HEART Trust NTA Youth Development Programme - December 13, 2017
- Dancehall Artiste Mineral Boss Shot Dead In Caymanas Bay - December 13, 2017
- A New T20 Record! The ‘Universe Boss’ Smashes 146 Off 69 Balls (18 Sixes) - December 12, 2017
- Jamaica’s Edmund Bartlett Named Caribbean Tourism Minister of the Year - December 12, 2017
- Three Die After Gunmen Callously Attack Mourners At Funeral In Kingston - December 11, 2017
- Flash Flood Watch In Effect For Northern And Southeastern Parishes - December 11, 2017
- Jamaican Leon Bailey Delivers Two Assists In Leverkusen Win - December 10, 2017
- Jamaicans Driving Support Against Paediatric Cancer - December 9, 2017
- Missing US National Found - December 8, 2017
- Police Seek Public’s Help To Find Missing US National - December 7, 2017