Young Inspirational Jamaicans – The Peanut Vendor
Four years ago, I got talking to a 17-year-old peanut vendor in rural St Mary, Jamaica.
He told me that he woke up at 3 am every morning to prepare his peanuts for the day, roasting them, sprinkling a bit of salt, and bagging them up for sale throughout the day.
I bought a 50-dollar bag from him almost every day for the three months I was there and got used to the sound of his cart whistling on the street.
“Lady, better gwaan come,” he told me on the last day I bought the peanuts before I returned to London.
I gave him a hug, imagining how tedious his daily routine was and how little he made on a daily basis.
Two days ago, I heard the cart whistling and shouted, “Peanut man. How yuh doing?”
But it was a much older man. I inquired where the young man was. “Is mi son,” the vendor told me. “Him gaan a de Agricultural College a Portland and soon done him course.”
I wanted to hug the father with joy but refrained from such familiarity.
As I bought the peanuts for 80 dollars, I smiled to myself.
I just love Jamaican young people. They are always pressing on, no matter what the odds. Bless!
By Neo Makeba
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- Jamaican Reggae & Dancehall Artistes Pricing Themselves Out Of Work - November 19, 2017
- National Identification System– A Sellout By the JLP Government - November 17, 2017
- Are Jamaican Women Reckless With Sex Or In Bondage As Sex Slaves? - November 12, 2017
- ZOSO Opportunity – A New Anthem - November 4, 2017
- Can Locals Reap The Benefits Of Tourism In Jamaica? - October 24, 2017
- Out Of Many One People? The Imbalance Of Race In Jamaica - August 1, 2017
- Should Prisoners Be Allowed Conjugal Visits? - July 30, 2017
- Top Ten Reasons Why Jamaica is the Best Place for a Destination Wedding - July 27, 2017
- Jamaica Film Industry Needs Garveyism, Rastafari & Reggae - July 27, 2017
- Can We Legislate Sexual Morality? - July 24, 2017