Battery Theft Solution Finally Found For Solar Lighting on Highway 2000
According to Loop News, batteries for over 53 of a total of 221 street light systems that were being installed as a cost-cutting measure, were stolen within two months of the introduction of the innovative lighting solution to the highway intersections, despite the height at which the batteries were stored on the lamp posts. The lights were installed along the Portmore, Spanish Town, Vineyards and May Pen legs of the highway.
Facing growing losses, TransJamaican Highway opted for precautionary measures to secure the remaining batteries until a solution could be found to the frequent theft of the equipment, resulting in all the lights going out of service.
Back then, Kim Chin-Shue, public relations director at Advertising and Marketing Limited, which does public relations for TransJamaican Highway, indicated that “the batteries in the remaining solar-lighting systems in the targeted areas have been removed and transported to storage, while the company searches for an effective solution to the matter. We are currently exploring implementing additional security mechanisms to deter the theft of equipment, including hidden surveillance devices.”
Recently she confirmed that a solution had been found, noting that the solar lights were back again, this after the problem had plagued the highway operator since mid-2013.
“Yes, a solution has been found in respect of the battery theft problem that existed, but for security reasons, the solution will not be outlined to the public,” outlined Chin-Shue.
The theft, while it hobbled the highway operator’s efforts to light up critical sections of the highway in response to consistent public pressure on the matter, also represented an embarrassing national development.
Source: Loop News
- Kartel Hospitalised - September 25, 2017
- Jermaine Barrett Dies After Hard Fought Battle With Cancer - September 25, 2017
- Most Wanted ‘Duppy Film’ Reportedly Killed By Police In St Thomas - September 24, 2017
- Miss Jamaica World 2017 Crowned - September 24, 2017
- US To Assist With Probe Into Tourist’s Death - September 23, 2017
- Autopsy On Medical Doctor’s Body To Be Conducted Today - September 22, 2017
- NCU Student Wins Full Tuition In Red Stripe ‘Drink Right’ App Design Competition - September 21, 2017
- Jamaican Model Gabrielle Davis Joins Cast Of VH1’s Love & Hip Hop: Miami - September 21, 2017
- Jamaica By Bike Returns With Kingston To Negril Charity Ride - September 20, 2017
- Cop Killed By Gunmen At His Home In St Catherine - September 20, 2017