Historic! – Jamaican Author Among Nominees on Prestigious Man Booker Long List
Marlon James has entered the history books as the first Jamaican author to be nominated for the prestigious Man Booker Prize for fiction.
The Man Booker £50,000 (US $78,000) Prize for Fiction is a literary prize awarded each year for the best original novel, written in the English language, and published in the United Kingdom.
James is nominated for his third novel, “A Brief History of Seven Killings,” the story of the attempted assassination of reggae singer Bob Marley and its aftermath in the Jamaica of the 1970s and early 80s.
2015 marks only the second year that the prize, has been open to authors of any nationality.
Previously, only authors from the UK & Commonwealth, Republic of Ireland and Zimbabwe were eligible to receive the prize.
Five judges chose the following 13 novels for the 2015 long list:
Author (nationality) Title (publisher)
Bill Clegg (US) Did You Ever Have a Family (Jonathan Cape) Anne Enright (Ireland) The Green Road (Jonathan Cape) Marlon James (Jamaica) A Brief History of Seven Killings (Oneworld Publications) Laila Lalami (US) The Moor’s Account (Periscope, Garnet Publishing) Tom McCarthy (UK) Satin Island (Jonathan Cape) Chigozie Obioma (Nigeria) The Fishermen (One, Pushkin Press) Andrew O’Hagan (UK) The Illuminations (Faber & Faber) Marilynne Robinson (US) Lila (Virago) Anuradha Roy (India) Sleeping on Jupiter (MacLehose Press, Quercus) Sunjeev Sahota (UK) The Year of the Runaways (Picador) Anna Smaill (New Zealand) The Chimes (Sceptre) Anne Tyler (US) A Spool of Blue Thread (Chatto & Windus) Hanya Yanagihara (US) A Little Life (Picador)
If you like this article please consider joining our Forum HERE to help us grow.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]. Subscribe to our mailing list to get new articles sent to you automatically.
- TTIX Yellow Cab Karaoke | Episode 3: Anthony B - March 22, 2019
- Jamaican Players In the MLS - March 18, 2019
- TTIX Yellow Cab Karaoke | Episode 2: Julian Marley - March 12, 2019
- TTIX Yellow Cab Karaoke | Episode 1: Wayne Wonder - March 5, 2019
- Doctors Still Not Able To Diagnose Kemoy Campbell’s Condition - February 25, 2019
- Shaggy And Sting Cop Reggae Grammy - February 11, 2019
- Jamaica Remains 54th in Latest FIFA Rankings - February 8, 2019
- 3 Bedroom Home For Sale In St Thomas - February 5, 2019
- Caribbean Legal And Media Powerhouses Join Forces In South Florida - February 3, 2019
- First National Gallery Representation For Jamaican Visual Artist Maia Chung For 2019 - January 29, 2019