Superstitious Beliefs in Jamaica
If a woman is pregnant, she should not look at a dead body or her baby will die.
A pregnant woman should not look at a disfigured person or feel sorry for them, or the child will be born with some resemblance to the object of her pity.
If a baby boy looks like his mother, then he’ll be lucky. If a girl looks like her father, she too will be lucky.
If a person dreams about a nest full of eggs it means riches.
If you dream about a wedding, there’s going to be a funeral.
If a man dies with his eyes open, someone else in the family will die soon afterwards.
Dreams about death mean someone will be born into the family.
The mournful howling of a dog at night means that someone will die soon.
If a house is swarmed by ants it means that someone will die.
To prevent misfortune, a person who is building a house must kill a fowl (chicken) and pour its blood along with white rum on the ground at the four corners of the building.
The number 13 is bad luck.
If a bug drops dead in front of someone, it means that some misfortune will happen to that person.
If someone is eating and a bit falls from his or her mouth, it is believed that a dead relative knocked it out for himself.
Source: Jamaica Information Service in commemoration of National Heritage Week 1998.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]
- Dating Abroad: The Jamaican Woman Edition - January 29, 2017
- Camille Davis – Uncut & Uncensored - October 30, 2016
- When Pretending To Know Usain Bolt Goes Horribly Wrong - October 9, 2016
- Sakina Deer Extraordinaire - September 30, 2016
- The Year Of Yes - August 7, 2016
- Japanese Athlete, Jamaican Blood - July 25, 2016
- Jamaican in Dubai - July 12, 2016
- Six Things You’d Know If You’re An Authentic Jamaican - June 13, 2016
- Jamaican Adventures in Teaching Abroad - May 15, 2016
- A Successful Jamaican Woman Who Reshaped Her Reality - April 24, 2016