The World’s First Female Master Blender is Jamaican!
If you are unfamiliar with the profession, a master blender is a highly skilled individual who decides on the composition of blended spirits.
Jamaicans have been the first to achieve many things in the world.
Our very own Joy Spence is the world’s first master blender. She attended the University of the West Indies before she moved to England to pursue a Masters of Science degree in Analytical Chemistry at Loughborough University.
After graduation, Spence returned to Jamaica and lectured at the College of Arts Science and Technology (now renamed as the University of Technology). She then worked as a research and development chemist with Tia Maria liqueur.
Yet, the high-energy Spence—“I love to dance,” she says—soon grew restless working with a single product, and noticed the furor of activity at adjacent Appleton Estates.
Spence was hired as chief chemist in 1981, working closely with then-Master Blender Owen Tulloch. She assumed the role in 1997.
Compared to those early years of gazing across the fence, her hectic, wide-ranging role now encompasses aspects of production (developing new rums and blends and ensuring the quality of existing products) as well as marketing, traveling the world to promote
Appleton Estates. (Image: luxuryexperience.com)
Now, she says, “My job is complex, and I definitely do not get bored.”
Watch her give a tour of the Appleton Estates and discuss the intricacies of rum production within the country of Jamaica below:
If you like this article please consider joining our Forum HERE to help us grow.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]. Subscribe to our mailing list to get new articles sent to you automatically.
- Reggae Boy Kevon Lambert Signs For Phoenix Rising FC - August 21, 2017
- Thompson Wins Women’s 100m At Birmingham Diamond League - August 20, 2017
- Upcoming Solar Eclipse Will Obscure Large View Of The Sun From Jamaica, But Protect Your Eyes! - August 20, 2017
- 10 Persons Struck By Lightning At Mystic mountain - August 19, 2017
- Tropical Storm Harvey Being Monitored By ODPEM, Met Office - August 19, 2017
- Regulations Coming For Motorcycle Sale And Use (NRSC) - August 18, 2017
- Employment In Jamaica At All-Time High - August 18, 2017
- Bolt To Miss Opportunity To Play For Manchester United Due To Injury - August 17, 2017
- Jamaican Farm Worker Dies In Tractor Roll-Over Accident In Canada - August 17, 2017
- Elaine Thompson To Compete In Diamond League This Sunday - August 17, 2017