Dispelling the Myths About Jamaica and Jamaican People
1) Jamaica is NOT in Africa
This is especially for many Asians and Eastern Europeans that know nothing about the Caribbean.
And for whatever reason, most Jamaicans want to be recognized as a Jamaican and not African.
Just like how Japanese don’t want to be recognized as a Chinese or Korean and how Greeks don’t want to be recognized as Turkish.
Though we can’t tell the difference.
2) We DON’T all smoke weed
I’ve never smoked weed in my entire life.
Neither do I have any interest in doing so. Smoking is just not my thing.
As far as I know, none of my family members ever done this before.
I do have friends who do it occasionally however.
3) NOT everywhere in Jamaica is Dangerous
Just like anywhere in the world, there are also dangerous places in Jamaica as well.
But generally speaking, if you stay away from the danger zones and just don’t be stupid, you are pretty much fine.
Here might be dangerous
Here is quite safe 🙂
4) We are NOT all Black
Yes the majority of us have black ancestry but most of us also are mixed with some other race.
1% of the population is Chinese. We have Jews, Syrians, Europeans, Indians… Its a big mixture of people and cultures.
My friend M…Who is of African, Jewish and European ancestry
My cousin with African and Syrian ancestry
5) We DON’T all lay on the beach and be lazy
While there are some lazy Jamaicans who don’t want to work or do anything for that matter, there are many Jamaicans who are very hard working.
Honestly… not all of us!!
6) We DON’T have straw houses
Unless it’s a hut or a shop or something like that, there are no buildings made of straw.
You probably won’t see a house like this in Jamaica
We do have these though 🙂
7) Most of us know about Bob Marley but DON’T know him personally
He died in 1981, I wasn’t even 1 yet.
8) A good amount of us either never saw or don’t remember about the movie Cool Runnings
In my case, I remember watching the movie years ago but for the life of me I can’t remember it’s contents.
It was too long ago!! The only thing I remember about it is some Jamaicans entering bob sleigh which is a winter sport, but we don’t have cold winters in Jamaica.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. To submit your own articles or to advertise with us please send us an EMAIL at: [email protected]. Subscribe to our mailing list to get new articles sent to you automatically.
- Dispelling the Myths About Jamaica and Jamaican People - February 2, 2014
- Suicide and Sex deficit in Japan (Blogs From a Jamaican Living in Asia) - December 10, 2013
- Dave’s Diary – The Philippines - September 29, 2013
- Japanese And Blood Types - July 31, 2013
- Onsen For the First Time - March 18, 2013
- A Visit To South Korea and Looking Over North Korea - November 30, 2012
- Part 2 of – Things Foreigners Should Know About Japan Before Living Here - November 9, 2012
- Things Foreigners Should Know About Japan Before Living Here - October 23, 2012
- Two Countries Of Paradox – Japan and Jamaica - October 15, 2012