Jamaica’s Melaine Walker to be included in Track & Field Hall of Fame
Former World and Olympic 400 metre hurdles champion Melanie Walker is to be inducted into the National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) Track and Field Hall of Fame.
Walker along with Alleyne Francique of Grenada, who is a two time World Indoor 400 metre hurdles winner, are among five new members to be inducted at the ceremony in New York in March.
This decision was taken at the United States Track and Field Cross Country Coaches’ Association Convention in Orlando, Florida.
Walker, who in November was inducted into the University of Texas Women’s Athletics Hall of Honor, earned NJCAA All-American honours 10 times while at Essex County College.
She was the Olympic 400m hurdles record holder in Beijing in 2008 and also won gold at the 2009 World Championships in Berlin.
She was a six time Big 12 Conference Champion at the University of Texas while helping the Longhorns to NCAA team titles at the 2005 Outdoor Championships and the 2006 Indoor Championships.
One of the top hurdlers in school history, Walker was also a 3 time NCAA champion, 8 time All American and earned a Bachelor’s Degree in Applied Learning and Development.
Francique in the meantime was NJCAA champion in the 400, 600 and 4×400 metres relay for Essex County College in 2000.
He is now an assistant coach at Texas A&M University.
If you like this article please consider joining our Forum HERE to help us grow.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. Subscribe to our mailing list to get new articles sent to you automatically. Share buttons are below:
- 6 Members of Family Killed in Hanover Massacre - October 9, 2015
- Former PM PJ Patterson Bashes David Cameron in Open Letter - October 9, 2015
- Did Usain Bolt Just Switch His Allegiance to Arsenal? (Video) - October 8, 2015
- Elderly US Man Commits Suicide After Falling Victim to Jamaican Lottery Scam - October 8, 2015
- Jamaican Online Sensation Beats Usain Bolt in a Race! (Video) - October 7, 2015
- Bolt to Make Appearance on The Ellen Degeneres Show - October 7, 2015
- Religious Discrimination at St Hilda’s? - October 6, 2015
- 19-Yr-Old Girl Dies After Being Struck By Lightning in St Thomas - October 6, 2015
- “I have been betrayed by my country Jamaica” Says Steve Mullings - October 5, 2015
- Jamaican Movie-Goers Spend Over 3/4 Billion at Cinemas in 1 Year Period - October 5, 2015