Jamaica’s Melaine Walker to be included in Track & Field Hall of Fame
Former World and Olympic 400 metre hurdles champion Melanie Walker is to be inducted into the National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) Track and Field Hall of Fame.
Walker along with Alleyne Francique of Grenada, who is a two time World Indoor 400 metre hurdles winner, are among five new members to be inducted at the ceremony in New York in March.
This decision was taken at the United States Track and Field Cross Country Coaches’ Association Convention in Orlando, Florida.
Walker, who in November was inducted into the University of Texas Women’s Athletics Hall of Honor, earned NJCAA All-American honours 10 times while at Essex County College.
She was the Olympic 400m hurdles record holder in Beijing in 2008 and also won gold at the 2009 World Championships in Berlin.
She was a six time Big 12 Conference Champion at the University of Texas while helping the Longhorns to NCAA team titles at the 2005 Outdoor Championships and the 2006 Indoor Championships.
One of the top hurdlers in school history, Walker was also a 3 time NCAA champion, 8 time All American and earned a Bachelor’s Degree in Applied Learning and Development.
Francique in the meantime was NJCAA champion in the 400, 600 and 4×400 metres relay for Essex County College in 2000.
He is now an assistant coach at Texas A&M University.
If you like this article please consider joining our Forum HERE to help us grow.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. Subscribe to our mailing list to get new articles sent to you automatically. Share buttons are below:
- Caribbean Designers Showcase Their Creations at Carib Style Week (Video) - July 2, 2015
- 45-Yr-Old Lab Tech Arrested After Allegedly Having Sex With Grade 9 Student - July 1, 2015
- Bolt to Miss Paris Meet on Saturday - June 30, 2015
- US State Department Believes J’can Gov’t Monitored Private Online Conversations - June 30, 2015
- Gay Pride Activities to Be held in Jamaica Between August 1-6 (Updated) - June 30, 2015
- US Teenager Being Labelled the Next Usain Bolt - June 30, 2015
- Another Extremely Fun Thing to Do in Jamaica… IF You’re Brave Enough (Video) - June 29, 2015
- Omi Becomes 1st Jamaican to Enter Top 5 of Billboard Hot 100 Chart in 12 Years - June 27, 2015
- Jamaica’s Financial Well-Being Lower Than Haiti – Report - June 26, 2015
- Asafa Powell Blazes to Victory at Jamaican National Trials - June 26, 2015