Jamaica’s Melaine Walker to be included in Track & Field Hall of Fame
Former World and Olympic 400 metre hurdles champion Melanie Walker is to be inducted into the National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) Track and Field Hall of Fame.
Walker along with Alleyne Francique of Grenada, who is a two time World Indoor 400 metre hurdles winner, are among five new members to be inducted at the ceremony in New York in March.
This decision was taken at the United States Track and Field Cross Country Coaches’ Association Convention in Orlando, Florida.
Walker, who in November was inducted into the University of Texas Women’s Athletics Hall of Honor, earned NJCAA All-American honours 10 times while at Essex County College.
She was the Olympic 400m hurdles record holder in Beijing in 2008 and also won gold at the 2009 World Championships in Berlin.
She was a six time Big 12 Conference Champion at the University of Texas while helping the Longhorns to NCAA team titles at the 2005 Outdoor Championships and the 2006 Indoor Championships.
One of the top hurdlers in school history, Walker was also a 3 time NCAA champion, 8 time All American and earned a Bachelor’s Degree in Applied Learning and Development.
Francique in the meantime was NJCAA champion in the 400, 600 and 4×400 metres relay for Essex County College in 2000.
He is now an assistant coach at Texas A&M University.
If you like this article please consider joining our Forum HERE to help us grow.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. Subscribe to our mailing list to get new articles sent to you automatically.
- Shaggy Performs At Queen Elizabeth’s Birthday Party - April 24, 2018
- Oil And Gas 3D Seismic Survey Nearly 50 Percent Complete - April 22, 2018
- Solange Knowles Writes Thank You Letter To Jamaica - April 21, 2018
- Canadian Politician Sparks Outrage With Remarks About Jamaicans, Later Apologises - April 20, 2018
- Health Ministry Reports Steep Rise In Obesity Among 13-15 Year Olds - April 19, 2018
- Counterfeit Goods Valuing Over $100 Million Seized, Two Chinese Nationals Arrested - April 18, 2018
- Jamaicans Among Thousands From Caribbean To See Their Status Legalised In The UK - April 17, 2018
- Murders Down By Nearly 80 Percent In St James Under State Of Emergency - April 16, 2018
- 27 Medals For Jamaica At 2018 Commonwealth Games - April 15, 2018
- Leon Bailey Backs Bolt To Succeed As A Professional Footballer - April 14, 2018