Jamaica’s Melaine Walker to be included in Track & Field Hall of Fame
Former World and Olympic 400 metre hurdles champion Melanie Walker is to be inducted into the National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) Track and Field Hall of Fame.
Walker along with Alleyne Francique of Grenada, who is a two time World Indoor 400 metre hurdles winner, are among five new members to be inducted at the ceremony in New York in March.
This decision was taken at the United States Track and Field Cross Country Coaches’ Association Convention in Orlando, Florida.
Walker, who in November was inducted into the University of Texas Women’s Athletics Hall of Honor, earned NJCAA All-American honours 10 times while at Essex County College.
She was the Olympic 400m hurdles record holder in Beijing in 2008 and also won gold at the 2009 World Championships in Berlin.
She was a six time Big 12 Conference Champion at the University of Texas while helping the Longhorns to NCAA team titles at the 2005 Outdoor Championships and the 2006 Indoor Championships.
One of the top hurdlers in school history, Walker was also a 3 time NCAA champion, 8 time All American and earned a Bachelor’s Degree in Applied Learning and Development.
Francique in the meantime was NJCAA champion in the 400, 600 and 4×400 metres relay for Essex County College in 2000.
He is now an assistant coach at Texas A&M University.
If you like this article please consider joining our Forum HERE to help us grow.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. Subscribe to our mailing list to get new articles sent to you automatically. Share buttons are below:
- Bolt Aiming For Fast Time in Ostrava - May 26, 2015
- Jamaican Int’l Footballer Scores Beautiful Hat-Trick Ensuring Promotion for Preston North End (Video) - May 25, 2015
- 28-Year-Old Kingston Man Steals Over A Dozen Phones Used By Obama’s Security Personnel - May 24, 2015
- Jamaica Rejects Calls to Repeal Buggery Law, Legalise Same-Sex Marriages - May 23, 2015
- Man Strips Naked At Airport After Learning Flight to Jamaica Was Overbooked - May 21, 2015
- Rolling Stone’s Mick Jagger Says Kartel and Jay-Z Are His Favourite Rappers - May 21, 2015
- Mayhem at Passport Office Following Fee Increases - May 21, 2015
- Elderly Farmer Killed by Police Was “A Frail Man” Says Seiveright - May 20, 2015
- 7 Quick Facts About the Zika Virus - May 20, 2015
- From Chikungunya to Zika! Jamaicans Warned About New Mosquito-Borne Virus - May 19, 2015