Jamaica’s Usain ‘Lightning’ Bolt continues to dominate global titles!
Jamaica’s Olympic and World champion Usain Bolt along with American tennis star Serena Williams have both been voted International Sports Press Association (AIPS) best athletes for the second year in a row.
A panel of 470 sports journalists from 96 countries voted in this year’s poll, reports CMC.
Bolt received a whopping 1,282 votes, followed by Formula One driver Sebastien Vettel on 499 and Spanish football giants Real Madrid’s Cristiano Ronaldo on 437.
Williams, who in 2013 aced her finest season statistically with a 78-4 record, and 11 titles, received 915 votes, ahead of Russian pole vault queen Yelena Isinbayev (644) and Jamaican athletics star Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce (551).
European champions Bayern Munich, who dominated football in 2013, winning their first Club World Cup title, and finishing the Bundesliga season unbeaten, were the resounding winners of the Best Team award with 1707 votes, 1128 ahead of second place winner Miami Heat, two-time NBA Champions who racked up an incredible 27-game winning streak in 2013.
New Zealand’s All Blacks Rugby team with 14 wins from 14 matches in 2013 took third place.
This year’s Best Press Facilities Award had been split into two categories — Best One Day Sporting Event and Best Press Facilities, Major Championship.
Winner of the One Day Sporting Event award was the UEFA Champions League Final in Wembley, England.
Winners of the second category were very close with the 2013 Moscow IAAF Track and Field Championships receiving 558 votes, the FIFA Confederations Cup (545) and FINA World Championships (486).
If you like this article please consider joining our Forum HERE to help us grow.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. Subscribe to our mailing list to get new articles sent to you automatically. Share buttons are below:
- Toying With Evil? Education Ministry Bans Game that Many Believe Summons Demon (Video) - May 29, 2015
- Jamaican Scientist Offered Over $11 Billion For Cancer Research Patent - May 28, 2015
- Jamaica’s ‘Axeman’ is Number One! - May 27, 2015
- Bolt Aiming For Fast Time in Ostrava - May 26, 2015
- Jamaican Int’l Footballer Scores Beautiful Hat-Trick Ensuring Promotion for Preston North End (Video) - May 25, 2015
- 28-Year-Old Kingston Man Steals Over A Dozen Phones Used By Obama’s Security Personnel - May 24, 2015
- Jamaica Rejects Calls to Repeal Buggery Law, Legalise Same-Sex Marriages - May 23, 2015
- Man Strips Naked At Airport After Learning Flight to Jamaica Was Overbooked - May 21, 2015
- Rolling Stone’s Mick Jagger Says Kartel and Jay-Z Are His Favourite Rappers - May 21, 2015
- Mayhem at Passport Office Following Fee Increases - May 21, 2015