Jamaica’s Usain ‘Lightning’ Bolt continues to dominate global titles!
Jamaica’s Olympic and World champion Usain Bolt along with American tennis star Serena Williams have both been voted International Sports Press Association (AIPS) best athletes for the second year in a row.
A panel of 470 sports journalists from 96 countries voted in this year’s poll, reports CMC.
Bolt received a whopping 1,282 votes, followed by Formula One driver Sebastien Vettel on 499 and Spanish football giants Real Madrid’s Cristiano Ronaldo on 437.
Williams, who in 2013 aced her finest season statistically with a 78-4 record, and 11 titles, received 915 votes, ahead of Russian pole vault queen Yelena Isinbayev (644) and Jamaican athletics star Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce (551).
European champions Bayern Munich, who dominated football in 2013, winning their first Club World Cup title, and finishing the Bundesliga season unbeaten, were the resounding winners of the Best Team award with 1707 votes, 1128 ahead of second place winner Miami Heat, two-time NBA Champions who racked up an incredible 27-game winning streak in 2013.
New Zealand’s All Blacks Rugby team with 14 wins from 14 matches in 2013 took third place.
This year’s Best Press Facilities Award had been split into two categories — Best One Day Sporting Event and Best Press Facilities, Major Championship.
Winner of the One Day Sporting Event award was the UEFA Champions League Final in Wembley, England.
Winners of the second category were very close with the 2013 Moscow IAAF Track and Field Championships receiving 558 votes, the FIFA Confederations Cup (545) and FINA World Championships (486).
If you like this article please consider joining our Forum HERE to help us grow.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. Subscribe to our mailing list to get new articles sent to you automatically. Share buttons are below:
- Promising Female Dancehall Artiste Killed in Hanover (Video) - November 29, 2015
- Usain Bolt Was Born Fast But He Works Hard! (Video) - November 29, 2015
- Battery Theft Solution Finally Found For Solar Lighting on Highway 2000 - November 28, 2015
- Protests By Gay Activists Force Beenie Man Off New Zealand Concert - November 27, 2015
- Former Jamaican Boxing Champion Killed in Atlanta (Video) - November 26, 2015
- Study: Chik-V May Cause Serious Brain Infection in Some People - November 26, 2015
- One Person Killed Every 7 Hours in Jamaica: JCF Stats - November 26, 2015
- Vice Principal, Daughter Attacked And Stabbed 26 Times in Portland - November 25, 2015
- 3 Jamaicans Included in All-Star U19 team For 2015 Copa Rayados - November 24, 2015
- Entertainer J Capri in Dire Need of Blood Following Car Accident - November 24, 2015