First black professor to be knighted is Jamaican !
The Jamaican-born Professor Geoffrey Palmer o/c “Geof”, has become the first Black professor to be knighted.
Professor Palmer a prominent anti-racism campaigner and a leading activist for the rights of Asian women was knighted for services to human rights, science and charity.
The Jamaican-born Professor became Scotland’s first ever black professor in 1989 and was named one of Briton’s 100 great “Black Britons” in a poll conducted in 2007.
Professor Palmer was born in Jamaica and migrated to the UK at just age 14.
He is an internationally renowned brewing expert who is a professor emeritus in the school of life sciences in Edinburgh’s Heriot-Watt University.
“My connections with the university actually go back to 1964, when I won a place as a PHD student after what I actually thought was a bad interview. I’ve been living in Penicuik ever since 1977.”
If you like this article please consider joining our Forum HERE to help us grow.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. Subscribe to our mailing list to get new articles sent to you automatically.
- Jamaican Dalton Harris Delivers Incredible Rendition Of Beyonce’s ‘Listen’ On X Factor UK - November 18, 2018
- Stunning Home For Sale In Stonebrook Estate - November 12, 2018
- Jamaican Author Dwight Thompson Delivers Hard-Hitting Coming-Of-Age Tale With Debut Novel - November 11, 2018
- Fly Jamaica Plane Crash Lands In Guyana - November 9, 2018
- Jamaican Visual Artist Maia Chung Has First Solo Exhibition - November 9, 2018
- Two Reggae Girlz Named In CONCACAF Best Eleven - November 6, 2018
- The Ball Is In Bolt’s Court - October 30, 2018
- Ruffi Delivers At South Florida Event - October 27, 2018
- Historic! Jamaica’s Reggae Girlz Qualify For The 2019 FIFA Women’s World Cup - October 18, 2018
- Reggae Boy Luton Shelton Afflicted With ALS Disease - October 13, 2018