First black professor to be knighted is Jamaican !
The Jamaican-born Professor Geoffrey Palmer o/c “Geof”, has become the first Black professor to be knighted.
Professor Palmer a prominent anti-racism campaigner and a leading activist for the rights of Asian women was knighted for services to human rights, science and charity.
The Jamaican-born Professor became Scotland’s first ever black professor in 1989 and was named one of Briton’s 100 great “Black Britons” in a poll conducted in 2007.
Professor Palmer was born in Jamaica and migrated to the UK at just age 14.
He is an internationally renowned brewing expert who is a professor emeritus in the school of life sciences in Edinburgh’s Heriot-Watt University.
“My connections with the university actually go back to 1964, when I won a place as a PHD student after what I actually thought was a bad interview. I’ve been living in Penicuik ever since 1977.”
If you like this article please consider joining our Forum HERE to help us grow.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. Subscribe to our mailing list to get new articles sent to you automatically.
- Reggae Girlz Train At Montego Bay Sports Complex Today - January 20, 2019
- Charles Chocolates Dancin’ Dynamites ‘Mad And Mean’ For Season 14 - January 16, 2019
- Here Is Why 2019 Will Be A Great Year For Tourism In Jamaica - January 15, 2019
- Reggae Boy Peter-Lee Vassell Drafted by Los Angeles FC - January 13, 2019
- Caribbean Food And Drink Festival “Taste The Islands Experience” Returns To Fort Lauderdale—Bigger And Better - January 10, 2019
- Buju Concert Scheduled For March 16th In Jamaica - January 6, 2019
- Ruffi Delivers Again With New Single ‘Pressure’ - January 2, 2019
- PM And Security Experts Meet To Plan Further Anti-Crime Strategies - January 1, 2019
- New Short Film Shines Light On Bob Marley’s Love For Football - December 30, 2018
- Leon Bailey To Be Instructed By New Coach At Bayer Leverkusen - December 26, 2018