First black professor to be knighted is Jamaican !
The Jamaican-born Professor Geoffrey Palmer o/c “Geof”, has become the first Black professor to be knighted.
Professor Palmer a prominent anti-racism campaigner and a leading activist for the rights of Asian women was knighted for services to human rights, science and charity.
The Jamaican-born Professor became Scotland’s first ever black professor in 1989 and was named one of Briton’s 100 great “Black Britons” in a poll conducted in 2007.
Professor Palmer was born in Jamaica and migrated to the UK at just age 14.
He is an internationally renowned brewing expert who is a professor emeritus in the school of life sciences in Edinburgh’s Heriot-Watt University.
“My connections with the university actually go back to 1964, when I won a place as a PHD student after what I actually thought was a bad interview. I’ve been living in Penicuik ever since 1977.”
If you like this article please consider joining our Forum HERE to help us grow.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. Subscribe to our mailing list to get new articles sent to you automatically.
- TTIX Yellow Cab Karaoke | Episode 3: Anthony B - March 22, 2019
- Jamaican Players In the MLS - March 18, 2019
- TTIX Yellow Cab Karaoke | Episode 2: Julian Marley - March 12, 2019
- TTIX Yellow Cab Karaoke | Episode 1: Wayne Wonder - March 5, 2019
- Doctors Still Not Able To Diagnose Kemoy Campbell’s Condition - February 25, 2019
- Shaggy And Sting Cop Reggae Grammy - February 11, 2019
- Jamaica Remains 54th in Latest FIFA Rankings - February 8, 2019
- 3 Bedroom Home For Sale In St Thomas - February 5, 2019
- Caribbean Legal And Media Powerhouses Join Forces In South Florida - February 3, 2019
- First National Gallery Representation For Jamaican Visual Artist Maia Chung For 2019 - January 29, 2019