First black professor to be knighted is Jamaican !
The Jamaican-born Professor Geoffrey Palmer o/c “Geof”, has become the first Black professor to be knighted.
Professor Palmer a prominent anti-racism campaigner and a leading activist for the rights of Asian women was knighted for services to human rights, science and charity.
The Jamaican-born Professor became Scotland’s first ever black professor in 1989 and was named one of Briton’s 100 great “Black Britons” in a poll conducted in 2007.
Professor Palmer was born in Jamaica and migrated to the UK at just age 14.
He is an internationally renowned brewing expert who is a professor emeritus in the school of life sciences in Edinburgh’s Heriot-Watt University.
“My connections with the university actually go back to 1964, when I won a place as a PHD student after what I actually thought was a bad interview. I’ve been living in Penicuik ever since 1977.”
If you like this article please consider joining our Forum HERE to help us grow.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. Subscribe to our mailing list to get new articles sent to you automatically.
- Jamaica’s Briana Williams Becomes NACAC 100m Champion - July 9, 2019
- Ruffi Scores Big With Hot New Single Holiday (VIDEO) - June 29, 2019
- Reggae Girlz Take On Scotland Today! - May 28, 2019
- Captivating Colombia Takes ‘Mad And Mean’ International Night Finals - May 23, 2019
- Jamaica’s Reggae Girlz Pull Off Comfortable 3-1 Win Over Panama - May 20, 2019
- James Bond Star Suffers Injury While Filming In Jamaica - May 15, 2019
- Charles Chocolates Dancin’ Dynamites Gear Up For ‘Mad and Mean’ Finals - May 10, 2019
- Gayle Returns Home To The Jamaica Tallawahs - May 6, 2019
- Less People Getting Married In Jamaica - April 22, 2019
- Minor Quake Rattles Sections Of Jamaica - April 15, 2019