Ian Goodison to become oldest Outfield Player in English football
1998 Jamaican World Cup veteran Ian Goodison has signed a new one-year contract with English League One club Tranmere Rovers, making him the oldest outfield player confirmed to be in the Football League next season.
The veteran defender will move into his 10th year with Rovers having made the switch to Prenton Park in 2004.
The 40 year old Goodison has made 390 appearances during that time, placing him 11th on the club’s all-time list.
“I love Tranmere and am very happy to stay. From the day I came, all the fans and staff have made me very welcome,” Goodison told the club website
On securing Goodison’s signature, Manager Ronnie Moore added: “I’m really pleased Ian will be here for another year. He has been a fantastic footballer for this club over the past nine years.
“People might be surprised that I’ve offered him a contract at the age of 40 but Ian doesn’t play like a 40-year-old.
“He is not like any other player I’ve ever worked with – he’s a one off and his team-mates love him. He has an incredible amount of experience and has helped our young defenders this season with a lot of advice before and during matches.”
If you like this article please consider joining our Forum HERE to help us grow.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms. Subscribe to our mailing list to get new articles sent to you automatically. Share buttons are below:
- Jamaica U-17 Players Injured in Elevator Crash in Honduras - March 1, 2015
- Jamaican Netballer Granted Australian Citizen, Could Represent Diamonds at 2015 Netball World Cup - February 16, 2015
- Legends Unite! – Bolt meets Jordan at Super Bowl 49 - February 2, 2015
- From the Track to the Runway – Asafa Powell Joins Modelling Agency! - January 8, 2015
- Liverpool’s Jamaican-born ace Raheem Sterling earns European Golden Boy award - December 20, 2014
- Jamaica Leaps Massive 42 places in latest FIFA Rankings - November 28, 2014
- Usain Bolt among Top 50 Highest Paid Athletes - November 10, 2014
- Usain Bolt wants roof over his head – Here’s Why: - August 21, 2014
- Bolt easily wins first 100 meter race of the year despite feeling “sluggish” (Video) - August 18, 2014
- Jamaica’s Waterhouse FC enter CONCACAF Champions League with a victory (Video Highlights) - August 8, 2014