UWI, Mona Hosts Peter Tosh Symposium
A symposium entitled, “Peter Tosh –Reggae Revolutionary and Equal Rights Advocate,” is to be held at the Neville Hall Lecture Theatre (N-1), at the University of the West Indies, on Friday, October 19 from 6:00 pm to 8:30 pm.
The Symposium is to celebrate the anniversary of Tosh’s birth on October 19, 1944 as well as to acknowledge him being conferred the Order of Merit, posthumously. Twenty five years after his passing in this fiftieth commemorative year of Jamaican independence, Peter Tosh now joins his former bandmate, Bob Marley, in being awarded Jamaica’s third highest honour.
The featured panelists this year will be Herbie Miller, former manager for Peter Tosh, and Curator of the Jamaica Music Museum at the Institute of Jamaica. Dr. Clinton Hutton, musicologist, painter, and lecturer in the Department of Government, Professor Carolyn Cooper, founder and former director of the Reggae Studies Unit at the Mona Campus of UWI, as well as Niambe and Dave Tosh, daughter and son of the enigmatic Peter Tosh.
Peter Tosh, one of Jamaica’s undisputed Reggae icons, was not only one of the founding members of one of the greatest Reggae groups ever to come out of Jamaica, ‘The Wailers’, but was also known as an unapologetic revolutionary and champion for Equal Rights and Justice.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and subscribe to our mailing list to get new articles sent to you automatically.
- How To Use The Internet For Additional Earnings - April 26, 2018
- Shaggy Performs At Queen Elizabeth’s Birthday Party - April 24, 2018
- Oil And Gas 3D Seismic Survey Nearly 50 Percent Complete - April 22, 2018
- Solange Knowles Writes Thank You Letter To Jamaica - April 21, 2018
- Canadian Politician Sparks Outrage With Remarks About Jamaicans, Later Apologises - April 20, 2018
- Health Ministry Reports Steep Rise In Obesity Among 13-15 Year Olds - April 19, 2018
- Counterfeit Goods Valuing Over $100 Million Seized, Two Chinese Nationals Arrested - April 18, 2018
- Jamaicans Among Thousands From Caribbean To See Their Status Legalised In The UK - April 17, 2018
- Murders Down By Nearly 80 Percent In St James Under State Of Emergency - April 16, 2018
- 27 Medals For Jamaica At 2018 Commonwealth Games - April 15, 2018