Reggae Boyz World Cup qualification in Jeopardy
The Reggae Boyz suffered a massive blow to their chances of reaching the CONCACAF Final of the 2014 World Cup qualifying after they were beaten 2-1 against Guatemala in Guatemala City.
A late strike from Carlos Ruiz on 85 minutes shattered the heart of the Jamaicans after Luton Shelton had revived hopes of at least a share of the spoils after scoring a 61st minute penalty.
Carlos Fernando had earlier given the hosts a 1-0 lead.
Jamaica following the result dropped to 3rd in the table on 7 points, while Guatemala moved to the top of the table on 10 points, the same as the United States who needed a late goal from Eddie Johnson to secure a 2-1 win over a stubborn Antigua and Barbuda.
Johnson’s winning goal which came in time added followed an earlier effort in the 20th minute which was cancelled out 5 minutes later by Dexter Blackstock.
The Jamaicans now find themselves needing to beat Antigua by 3-0 on Tuesday while hoping that there is an outright winner in the clash United States and Guatemala.
Meanwhile in Group B, Mexico stretched their lead at the top when they hammered Guyana 5-0 to move to maximum 15 points, while Costa Rica moved into second spot with 7 points with a 1-0 effort over El Salvador who remain on 5 points.
In Group C Canada improved their chances for a place in the final round when they moved to 10 points following a 2-0 triumph over Cuba while Panama stayed on top on goal difference after playing to a scoreless draw with Honduras.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and subscribe to our mailing list to get new articles sent to you automatically.
- Rivals Bolt and Gatlin May Face Off in the Bahamas - April 9, 2015
- Usain Bolt Ranked 16th Greatest Athlete Over the Last 20 Years - April 2, 2015
- American Tourist Allegedly Raped by Cuban Football Players in Jamaica - April 1, 2015
- Young Reggae Boyz Miss World Cup Spot After Heartbreaking Penalty Shootout Defeat - March 16, 2015
- Jamaica Beats the USA 1-0! (Highlights) - March 11, 2015
- Jamaica U-17 Players Injured in Elevator Crash in Honduras - March 1, 2015
- Jamaican Netballer Granted Australian Citizen, Could Represent Diamonds at 2015 Netball World Cup - February 16, 2015
- Legends Unite! – Bolt meets Jordan at Super Bowl 49 - February 2, 2015
- From the Track to the Runway – Asafa Powell Joins Modelling Agency! - January 8, 2015
- Liverpool’s Jamaican-born ace Raheem Sterling earns European Golden Boy award - December 20, 2014