70% of Customer’s Power Restored following Hurricane Sandy
Electricity has been restored to just under 70 % of customers of the Jamaica Public Service (JPS).
The light and power company says, almost all customers in Hanover, Westmoreland, and St. Elizabeth are expected to be back on the grid.
It may take some time for power to be restored to customers in St. Ann, St. Mary, St. Thomas and Portland, as the JPS transmission system has been extensively damaged.
Head of Corporate Communications at the JPS Winsome Callum, says restoration teams are working island-wide and will continue efforts into tonight.
Power was restored to more than two thirds of customers, when the company resumed work this morning.
Ms. Callum says this number is expected to increase significantly by the end of today.
She states that when restoration works resumed in Kingston and St. Catherine this morning, about 75 % of customers had received power.
The JPS Corporate Communications Manager says Portland and St. Mary, two of the four parishes that lost total supply during the passage of the hurricane are posing a challenge.
The other two parishes are St. Ann and St. Thomas.
She adds that the damaged transmission system is being repaired and it is hoped that customers in these four parishes will start receiving supply, however, she cautions that restoration is likely to go through the weekend.
In the meantime, the JPS continues restoration works in several communities in Clarendon, St. James and St. Andrew.
Ms. Callum says the company is using all available resources to include contractors to ensure all customers are back on the grid as soon as possible.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and subscribe to our mailing list to get new articles sent to you automatically.
- U-17 Reggae Girlz Out Of Contention For Women’s World Cup - October 23, 2017
- Bloody Weekend Sees Seven Killed In St James - October 22, 2017
- ‘A Lot’ Of Football Clubs Have Contacted Me – Usain Bolt - October 22, 2017
- 2018 FIFA World Cup Dream Still Alive For Jamaica’s Young Reggae Girlz - October 21, 2017
- Prolific Jamaican Striker Dane Kelly Earns Golden Boot Award In USL - October 20, 2017
- 91-Yr-Old Jamaican Man Killed, Wife Injured During Robbery In The US - October 19, 2017
- PM Gives Mount Salem ZOSO ‘B Plus’ Grade - October 19, 2017
- Several High Powered Weapons Seized at Newport West – JCF - October 18, 2017
- Reggae Boy Andre Blake Nominated For MLS Goalkeeper of the Year - October 18, 2017
- PM Declares Denham Town Second Zone of Special Operations - October 17, 2017