70% of Customer’s Power Restored following Hurricane Sandy
Electricity has been restored to just under 70 % of customers of the Jamaica Public Service (JPS).
The light and power company says, almost all customers in Hanover, Westmoreland, and St. Elizabeth are expected to be back on the grid.
It may take some time for power to be restored to customers in St. Ann, St. Mary, St. Thomas and Portland, as the JPS transmission system has been extensively damaged.
Head of Corporate Communications at the JPS Winsome Callum, says restoration teams are working island-wide and will continue efforts into tonight.
Power was restored to more than two thirds of customers, when the company resumed work this morning.
Ms. Callum says this number is expected to increase significantly by the end of today.
She states that when restoration works resumed in Kingston and St. Catherine this morning, about 75 % of customers had received power.
The JPS Corporate Communications Manager says Portland and St. Mary, two of the four parishes that lost total supply during the passage of the hurricane are posing a challenge.
The other two parishes are St. Ann and St. Thomas.
She adds that the damaged transmission system is being repaired and it is hoped that customers in these four parishes will start receiving supply, however, she cautions that restoration is likely to go through the weekend.
In the meantime, the JPS continues restoration works in several communities in Clarendon, St. James and St. Andrew.
Ms. Callum says the company is using all available resources to include contractors to ensure all customers are back on the grid as soon as possible.
Remember to share this article on Facebook and subscribe to our mailing list to get new articles sent to you automatically.
- Jamaica Represented In IDB Development Work - May 26, 2018
- Reggae Boyz Fall Out Of Top 50 In Latest FIFA Rankings - May 26, 2018
- Sean Paul Announces Death Of His Father - May 25, 2018
- Ananda Alert Issued For Missing St Ann Teen - May 24, 2018
- Street Team Win ‘Clash 13’ Of Charles Chocolates Dancin’ Dynamites Competition - May 23, 2018
- Ignite IGL Foundation Brings Cheer To Riverton Meadows Early Childhood Centre - May 22, 2018
- Gasoline Retailers Express Concern As Fuel Prices Rise - May 22, 2018
- Security Forces Seize Masks, Firearms In Westmoreland - May 21, 2018
- Gov’t Considers Increasing Ethanol Percentage In Petrol - May 20, 2018
- Bayern Munich Reportedly Make €60 Million Offer For Jamaican Winger Leon Bailey - May 19, 2018